PDA

View Full Version : More Line of Sight Clarifications!

jbarket
07-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to double check somethings.

Let's assume we have two identical armies. Each one consists of two lines of 4 small based infantry screening a large based jack, facing each other perfectly. There are no gaps between their bases at all.

Am I correct in thinking that the back line of that infantry can draw LOS to the jack, but not to the other infantry?

Similarly, let's assume I have a unit with mixed melee ranges... some are 0.25" and some have reach. If I have two lines of them, no gaps between them, on a jack... can the reach infantry in the back attack the jack over the first line of infantry? Or do they need a bit of a gap to draw a line directly to the jack without crossing over the front line's bases?

jandrese
07-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Correct on both counts. When checking LOS, only the defender's base size matters when determining which models would block LOS, so if you have a sea of small bases, all of them will have LOS to a single large base (assuming they are facing the right way, don't have terrain, etc...). Melee attacks use LOS rules just like ranged attacks.

The rules change if the attacker is on a hill, but that's for a different thread.

SageofLodoss
07-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to double check somethings.

Let's assume we have two identical armies. Each one consists of two lines of 4 small based infantry screening a large based jack, facing each other perfectly. There are no gaps between their bases at all.

Am I correct in thinking that the back line of that infantry can draw LOS to the jack, but not to the other infantry?

Similarly, let's assume I have a unit with mixed melee ranges... some are 0.25" and some have reach. If I have two lines of them, no gaps between them, on a jack... can the reach infantry in the back attack the jack over the first line of infantry? Or do they need a bit of a gap to draw a line directly to the jack without crossing over the front line's bases?

Bases do not block line of sight *to* bigger base sizes. At all.

You can see a large based jack behind a no-gap line of small or medium based models, and if you have reach and LOS, that is all that matters in normally declaring a melee attack.

Crate123
07-24-2012, 10:36 AM
You are correct regarding the line of sight, although the 2 outermost infantry will be able to see the other 2 outermost infantry as LOS can be drawn by a line being tangent to the base.
Regarding the reach business, yeah they can attack the jack.

There is only line of sight in this game. No "line of effect" or anything like that. Generally, if you can see it, you can attack it.
P.S Note that none reach melee range is 0.5".

jandrese
07-24-2012, 11:12 AM
One tiny caveat that is worth mentioning: The LOS line is NOT the same line you use for measuring distance.

In the following diagram, the attacker can make the attack against the model indicated assuming he has reach:

http://jubei.ceyah.org:8081/~jandrese/los-figure.png