PDA

View Full Version : Dahlia Hallyr as a frenzy target?

Tirpen
07-24-2012, 10:43 AM
My Dahlia Hallyr has Haunting melody upkept, it's my opponents control phase. One of his warbeasts fails a threshhold check and frenzies. The Warbeast has no models in beating range, Dahlia is about 4" away and is the closes model. One of the opponents own models is the second closes at about 5", what happens?

The Warbeast charges Dahlia and attacks her with his frenzy attack.
The Warbeast runs up to melee range but doesn't do an attack due to haunting melody.
Because of Haunting Melody, the warbeast doesn't charge Dahlia and charges the second closes model (his buddy) instead.
Something completely different.

We flipped a coin between 1 and 2 and ended up with 2, but I'm not entirely sure that was correct. Thanks in advance.

SageofLodoss
07-24-2012, 10:47 AM
It doesn't stop her from being the target of a frenzy, just the attacks, so I believe it would be 2) the Beast would go up to her and say GRARHHH! but would end up doing nothing due to being unable to target her with its melee attack.

Tirpen
07-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Good, that was what I was arguing as well when it came up. Rules wise it makes sense, but it's a rather funny visual. :)

Valander
07-24-2012, 11:30 AM
It doesn't stop her from being the target of a frenzy, just the attacks, so I believe it would be 2) the Beast would go up to her and say GRARHHH! but would end up doing nothing due to being unable to target her with its melee attack.
Correct.

For reference:

While in this modelʼs control area, living enemy models cannot give or receive orders and cannot make melee or ranged attacks targeting this model.Declaring a model as the charge target is not prevented, but once it gets there it cannot target her with melee attacks.

magi
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Declaring a model as the charge target is not prevented, but once it gets there it cannot target her with melee attacks.

Addendum:

If Dahlia had Haunting Melody upkept and was near another model that ended up in the frenzied warbeast's melee range after the frenzied warbeast charged Dahlia, would the warbeast attack the other model instead?

Karchev_the_Terrible
07-24-2012, 12:59 PM
I would imagine no since the initial, and in this case only, charge attack must be taken on the charge target itself, in this case, Dahlia

Odlox
07-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Addendum:

If Dahlia had Haunting Melody upkept and was near another model that ended up in the frenzied warbeast's melee range after the frenzied warbeast charged Dahlia, would the warbeast attack the other model instead?

Yes, the frenzied warbeast cound choose another model to attack, page 47:
"If the charging model cannot make its first melee attack against the charge target, the charging model can make its first melee attack against another eligible target, but this is not a charge attack. It does not lose its first attack."

Valander
07-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Addendum:

Given:

If the charging model cannot make its first melee attack against the charge target, the charging model can make its first melee attack against another eligible target, but this is not a charge attack. It does not lose its first attack.

This is a little tricky, though, because you have to follow the criteria for the Frenzying warbeast, too. Of particular interest:

4. Closest model in LOS of the warbeast. Warbeast charges the model without being forced. If unable to charge, the warbeast advances toward the model to get it into melee range and LOS and then directly faces it. The warbeast makes its combat action as described below.

A frenzied warbeast makes its combat action in a particular way. It never makes special attacks. It chooses the initial melee attacks option and makes one attack with its highest POW melee weapon and then forfeits the rest of its initial attacks. All attacks it makes that activation have boosted attack and damage rolls. The warbeast cannot make any additional attacks.

Since the "particular combat action" does not say it can only target the charge target, the normal rules would apply, and thus it would be able to attack another model in melee range, assuming it made a successful charge at Dahlia.

magi
07-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks again!