PDA

View Full Version : Looking for clarification on double-handed throw

Zaruthustran
07-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Double-handed throw is a power attack that requires the thrower to make a melee attack roll against the target of his throw.

So, how does that melee attack roll interact with:

1. Choir of Menoth's "Song of Passage"
2. Black Oil
3. Concealment
4. Firing Into Melee
5. Ranged Attack debuff spells such as Blur, Deflection, etc.
6. Stealth

I *think* the answer to all of the above is "it doesn't--just make a melee attack roll", but want to get a second opinion.

Crate123
07-24-2012, 04:57 PM
You are correct. Its a melee attack roll and while it does smell a little like a ranged attack it is not and doesnt interact with those things at all.

vintersbastard
07-25-2012, 01:54 AM
Double-handed throw is a power attack that requires the thrower to make a melee attack roll against the target of his throw.

So, how does that melee attack roll interact with:

2. Black Oil

I *think* the answer to all of the above is "it doesn't--just make a melee attack roll", but want to get a second opinion.You still suffer the -4 Mat, of course.

BrickandMurder
07-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Also because power attacks are melee attacks. Your first melee attack roll will suffer a -4 penalty if you are affected by black oil as well as the the second melee attack roll you make against the model you are throwing at.

DaneDarkblade
07-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Follow up question if you hit the target with a two handed throw do you have the -4 to try and hit another target. Ie I throw your jack at your caster.

SpiderBite
07-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Follow up question if you hit the target with a two handed throw do you have the -4 to try and hit another target. Ie I throw your jack at your caster.

You still suffer the -4 Mat, of course.

Also because power attacks are melee attacks. Your first melee attack roll will suffer a -4 penalty if you are affected by black oil as well as the the second melee attack roll you make against the model you are throwing at.

10char. :cool:

solkan
07-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Or, to put it another way, the instructions for throwing the thrown model at another model say:

If the other model is within range, the attack makes a melee attack roll against it.
and Black Oil is causing you a -4 MAT.

A blind model cannot make ranged or magic attacks, suffers -4 MAT and DEF, cannot run or charge, and must forfeit either its movement or action during its next activation.

So, no, you're not suffering a modifier to your MAT rolls. You're suffering a -4 modifier to your MAT attribute, which is going to make anything you try to do involving that attribute more difficult.

In length:
1. Black Oil applies a -4 modifier to your MAT.
2. You use your modified MAT when making all melee attack rolls.
3. You're making up to two melee attack rolls for the double handed throw.
4. As long as you have a 4 point penalty compared to when you're not Blind it's mathematically the same whether you do:
Unmodified MAT +2D6 -4
or
(Your MAT with the 4 point penalty) + 2D6