PDA

View Full Version : Extended Control Range

Ana Su
07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
In the Errata, it states: 'Replace the text of Extended Control Range with: When checking to see if this model is in its controller?s control area, double the area.'

This is different from the book which states: 'Extended Control Range When checking to see if this model is in its controller's control area for focus allocation, double the area.'

So originally you could only use the additional range for allocating focus. Now with the errata you are effectively in the models control area at Focus x4 if you have the 'Extended Control Range' ability. This is fine. The question I'm asking is:

When casting a CTRL spell, such as Terminal Velocity, or Guided Fire, can a model with the 'Extended Control Range' ability benefit from the spell if they are within 4x the casters focus stat? (i.e. 28" with Mortenebra and 24" with Kraye respectively)

Alviaran
07-24-2012, 09:03 PM
The Extended Control Range change was from a previous version of the errata. Yes, when you have a CTRL range spell or other such effect that can apply to a model with Extended Control Range, they get the doubled control area to see if they are in range. However, remember that your control area is still actually half that size so you may not measure the doubled size EXCEPT directly to the relevant model and ONLY when it is relevant (ie, you want to charge with a Stalker under Terminal Velocity. You may measure to see if he is within 28" from Mortenebra but may not measure that distance in any other direction and only when he is going to be making use of the ability).

hausdorff space
07-24-2012, 09:07 PM
When casting a CTRL spell, such as Terminal Velocity, or Guided Fire, can a model with the 'Extended Control Range' ability benefit from the spell if they are within 4x the casters focus stat? (i.e. 28" with Mortenebra and 24" with Kraye respectively)Yup. (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?69344-Extended-CTRL-area-amp-CTRL-spells&highlight=extended)

10 characters of doom

Sheer_Falacy
07-24-2012, 09:54 PM
The Extended Control Range change was from a previous version of the errata. Yes, when you have a CTRL range spell or other such effect that can apply to a model with Extended Control Range, they get the doubled control area to see if they are in range. However, remember that your control area is still actually half that size so you may not measure the doubled size EXCEPT directly to the relevant model and ONLY when it is relevant (ie, you want to charge with a Stalker under Terminal Velocity. You may measure to see if he is within 28" from Mortenebra but may not measure that distance in any other direction and only when he is going to be making use of the ability).

I actually believe an infernal ruled that you can measure if the jack is in your extended control area at any time, but can only measure directly toward it when doing so.

NotInKansas1911
07-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Hm.. rules as written issue.

Kraye has 6 focus so the radius for his normal control is 12"
That area is 452.4 sq inches.
Doubling the area leads to 904.8 sq inches.
The radius for that area would be ~17 inches.
To get to the 24" range intended the area needs to be quadrupled (1809.6 in sq).

Iff
07-25-2012, 05:38 AM

To get to the 24" range intended the area needs to be quadrupled (1809.6 in sq).
You don't actually double the control area. It's just shorthand for doubling the radius of the circle. There's even a comment in Prime about it, precisely for people like you. ;)

Edit: Found it.

FOR THE MATHEMATICALLY INCLINED
Some effects use terminology like ?increases control area by 2˝.? Inches are a unit of length, not area, and so the phrase may seem a bit odd. Likewise, some effects ?double the control area.? The correct interpretation is that the length of the line extending out from the model?s base is the value being modified, not the area enclosed by sweeping that line around the model.

NotInKansas1911
07-25-2012, 05:52 AM
You don't actually double the control area. It's just shorthand for doubling the radius of the circle. There's even a comment in Prime about it, precisely for people like you. ;)

Edit: Found it.

Ah okay. I knew this rule couldn't have been around for so long and I was the first to notice!

Engineers... sometimes we cant help ourselves!

Dire Forum Troll
07-25-2012, 06:01 AM

Fellow engineer, you also get the control area radius formula wrong.
It should be FOCUS x2" + the radius of the model's base.

NotInKansas1911
07-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Fellow engineer, you also get the control area radius formula wrong.
It should be FOCUS x2 + the radius of the model's base.

Eh, I thought about doing that, but I didn't want to take the time. The difference would have been minute. Youre talking about reallocating (for a small based model) approximately .6 sq inches. A prudent engineer knows when to estimate.

Assume the caster/lock is an infinitely small point :)

But this has nothing to do with rules anymore...