PDA

View Full Version : Free strikes with different melee ranges

MARINI
07-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Had a game recently where a model repositioned away from my Templar.
the Templar has 2" reach on it's flail, but . 5" on it's shield.
So if the model moved out of my shield range but stayed in range of my flail would that provoke a free strike from the shield??

Iff
07-25-2012, 12:20 AM
No, it wouldn't. The "melee range" of the Templar is defined as the largest range of all of its melee weapons (in this case 2"). An enemy model only provokes a free strike if he leaves that range.

Loate
07-25-2012, 06:13 PM
To piggyback on that, what would happen if the model started within 0.5", left the 2" range, and for some reason he wanted to take the shield attack instead of the reach attack? Would that be allowed?

Nafael
07-25-2012, 07:54 PM
To piggyback on that, what would happen if the model started within 0.5", left the 2" range, and for some reason he wanted to take the shield attack instead of the reach attack? Would that be allowed?

Nope, I need to work on my search fu, but long ago this was asked, and only the weapon with reach can ever make the free strike.

The Captain
07-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Nope, I need to work on my search fu, but long ago this was asked, and only the weapon with reach can ever make the free strike.

I don't think there's anything that needs a forum clarification in there anyway. You can only make melee attacks against models within the weapon's melee range (this applies to all melee attacks, both during and outside your activation), and if the enemy model is more than 0.5" away, your shield doesn't have the necessary range.