PDA

View Full Version : Gun Carriage LOS issue

wargolem
07-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Had this come up in a game and really would like an explaination as to why this was not errata. Guna carriage was about 2" from 4 shield walled MOW shock troopers and a mechanik was about 4" back behind them. How is it that the MOW can block LOS of Gun Carriage? Carriage is taller in volume and as a weapons platform, this to me is inexcusable. The rules are clear on LOS that if you draw LOS through a models base you do not have LOS but should this not be changed for weapons platforms?

Tarot
07-25-2012, 09:16 PM
No. Line of site is not and never has been dependent on the size of the attacker's base. There will never be any change or errata on this subject.

Alviaran
07-25-2012, 09:36 PM
No. Line of site is not and never has been dependent on the size of the attacker's base. There will never be any change or errata on this subject.

Not quite true. Cavalry models ignore models smaller than them when making melee attacks (Tall in the Saddle). Otherwise, yes, LOS is always based on the target.

Yrdum
07-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Pg 45 Prime MKII, has all sorts of examples of base size and LOS. Base size determines model volume so it becomes very important for determining LOS with terrain.

Albeit, not pertinent to this discussion where PP has set it's rules for 120mm figures to be impossible to hide but not hide from.

juckto
07-25-2012, 09:54 PM
and really would like an explaination as to why this was not errata.
Explanation: Because that's not the way this game works.

CygnarCaster
07-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Typically I stay away from threads that start with this sort of tone, but I gotta ask, why the vitriol? It plays the way it plays. Other players have to abide by the same rules, so it's not as though it's unfairly weighted against one faction or another.

I, too, think that it's odd that LOS doesn't work the same in both directions (from large to small, or small to large) from a fluff standpoint, but from a rules perspective, it plays just fine.

Far be it from me to claim perfection as an online persona, but I would suggest less venom in future posts, especially if you want them answered by official people.

Tarot
07-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Not quite true. Cavalry models ignore models smaller than them when making melee attacks (Tall in the Saddle). Otherwise, yes, LOS is always based on the target.

True, but it doesn't really become relevant with the lack of reach on a Gun Carriage, especially in the situation described. Really, any blanket statement such as the one I made should always come with the disclaimer "unless the rules say otherwise elsewhere in the book", at least as far as WM/H goes.

Northern Ronin
07-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Had this come up in a game and really would like an explaination as to why this was not errata. Guna carriage was about 2" from 4 shield walled MOW shock troopers and a mechanik was about 4" back behind them. How is it that the MOW can block LOS of Gun Carriage? Carriage is taller in volume and as a weapons platform, this to me is inexcusable. The rules are clear on LOS that if you draw LOS through a models base you do not have LOS but should this not be changed for weapons platforms?

Because balance.

Cloud-Gatherer
07-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Yes. PLEASE let my Stormwalls and Storm Striders have unfettered LOS to everything. That would be awesome. ;)

Valander
07-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Let's keep the discussion to the topic at hand, which, for the rules forum, is "how does X work." Not, "how come X works this way, and why don't you errata it to the way I think it should work."