PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a magical power attack?

Lachlan the Mad
07-26-2012, 03:43 AM
This is a question being asked in preparation for the Naga Nightlurker. Let us imagine that there is a model that is immune to non-magical attacks, and for some reason I want my Carnivean to throw him. If I use the Naga Nightlurker's animus on the Carnivean, his weapons become magical! Does this allow me to use my magic fists to throw the enemy model?

Crate123
07-26-2012, 03:45 AM
No, you dont use any weapons when you make power attacks thus it doesnt matter if they are magical or not.
However, if you put it on Typhon and you roll a crit, you could throw him because thats a rule attached to a melee weapon.

solkan
07-26-2012, 04:11 AM
From page 51, Prime Mk II:

When a model makes a power attack, do not apply the special abilities on its weapons unless they specifically reference power attacks.

That sentence is why the magical weapon property on the fists does not apply to the power attack.

Someday a model might have magical weapon fists that specifically say that they apply when making power attacks. But until then, and for all of the models that don't specifically say so, no, the property does not apply.

unyuzyall
07-26-2012, 02:51 PM
So, if the pureblood warpwolf uses its animus on the woldwrath, and the woldwrath did a sweep power attack that included incorporeal models, would the sweep count as using a magical fist?
I understand the quote "When a model makes a power attack, do not apply the special abilities on its weapons unless they specifically reference power attacks. " But, all of the big guys do their "reach" sweep attacks with their melee weapons, so does making those melee weapons magical make the power attack magical?

Second question from above would be, does spell ward prevent targeting it with an animus?

ZombieWar
07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
1: no
2: it depends, an animus IS a spell if a caster/lock casts it but not if a beast does.

solkan
07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
So, if the pureblood warpwolf uses its animus on the woldwrath, and the woldwrath did a sweep power attack that included incorporeal models, would the sweep count as using a magical fist?
I understand the quote "When a model makes a power attack, do not apply the special abilities on its weapons unless they specifically reference power attacks. " But, all of the big guys do their "reach" sweep attacks with their melee weapons, so does making those melee weapons magical make the power attack magical?

If by "big guys" you mean the colossals, then please note that it isn't actually a contradiction. The colossals special rules include a statement that their 2" range applies to all of their melee attacks, including their power attacks:

COLOSSAL MELEE RANGE
Colossal melee weapons and colossal melee attacks have a 2" melee range unless otherwise noted. This includes all power attacks made by a colossal.

If you wanted to make a point about it, colossals do not have Reach. They have their Colossal Melee Range rule which is better, and isn't a special ability of any of their weapons.

In comparison, the Kraken's Harvester weapon's Chain Strike ability does not apply to its power attacks because that ability does not say it does. The tactical tip for the weapon on page 102 even says:

Chain weapon does not modify the melee range of power attacks made by this model.

If you had a model with the magical weapon advantage that could apply that effect to its power attacks, you would be able to point to either the model's special rules or the special rules for the model's type and say, "This is where it says that that special rule applies to power attacks". The Pureblood Warpwolf's animus does not include the required text to do so.