PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting and sprint timing

Magnavox
07-28-2012, 01:13 AM
According to the wording on Sprint it takes place "at the end of a model's turn." it does not state that the model's turn immediately ends after completing the sprint move. Is it therefore possible for a Warcaster/warlock with sprint to cast a spell after the sprint
move since they are allowed to cast spells at any time during their activation?

vintersbastard
07-28-2012, 01:43 AM
No, the caster has ended his activation. The only things to be done now are effects triggered by ending the activation, such as sprint.

PS: The wording refers to the model's activation, not the model's turn (since models don't have turns, players have).

Magnavox
07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Ah but sprint does not contain any wording that compels the model to end its turn. For instance Caine's Teleport spell or failing to get into melee with a target the model charged. Both of these state that after the effect. The model's activation immediately ends. Sprint doesn't say that.

Sprint simply takes place after the model has completed all it's combat actions. For a non-warcaster there is nothing else to do but end the model's activation. But a Warcaster/lock can cast spells and use feats at any time so it should be able to cast a spell after sprint.

In fact any model that has an ability that it can use "at any time during it's activation" should be usable after sprint.

Kallas
07-28-2012, 11:44 AM
I think it's more that the Sprint timer is, "At the end of this model's activation, [...] it can make a full advance."

Basically, this is saying, "You've finished your activation? Cool, make a full advance before you move on to the next model/unit." You've declared that the model has ended it's activation, which triggers the sprint movement. This is different to, say, Refuge, which triggers after the combat action.

Magnavox
08-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I think it's more that the Sprint timer is, "At the end of this model's activation, [...] it can make a full advance."

Agreed. But the salient point to my question I think is: does Sprint happen during the models activation or just after. If it happens during the activation, then a warcaster can cast a spell after sprinting. If it happens after the model's activation ends, then the warcaster could not cast a spell.

My interpretation of the sprint rule is that it happens during the model's activation. Is my interpretation correct though?

Crate123
08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Sprint does happen during the models activation, but it doesnt leave you any time to do anything whatsoever afterwards.

TheUnknownMercenary
08-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Sprint: At the end of this model's activation...

When the model is all done, the last thing you do is move the model with Sprint and then it's activation is over.

It does happen during the activation but happens at the end. You can only trigger Sprint when you have declared that the model's activation has ended. It is a timing issue, so no casting spells after Sprint.