PDA

View Full Version : Druid's Wrath and sprays

SatireSphere
07-28-2012, 01:03 PM
With the new Woldwrath's animus from the No Quarter, an interesting question came up between me and some of the people I played it with. With the way the text reads, my line of thinking was that only the actual target of the spray would suffer the extra die on hit rolls, but a few people have told me that everyone who was under the spray (regardless of whether or not they were in the effect) would have the extra die applied to their attack roll.

Can anyone clarify this for me? I discussed it in the Circle forum (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?113837-Woldwrath-Spoiler/page4) and someone mentioned that a similar precedent had been set for things like this in the past.

Crate123
07-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Thats a lot of pages.
Can you quote the animus ?

SatireSphere
07-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Not sure if this is kosher, but "Friendly faction models gain an additional die on magic attack rolls targeting enemy models within 10" of this model. Druid's Wrath lasts for one turn."

Lanz
07-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Only the target of the spray is the actual 'target' of the attack, so if the above wording is correct, then yes, the additional dice will only apply to the main target of the spray, not everything under the spray.

Crate123
07-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Hmm interesting. It does say targeting so that would mean its only the models that are actually targeted, which is only the original model targeted by a spray.
Strange.

SatireSphere
07-28-2012, 01:21 PM
I would like to see the argument of someone who has a contrarian opinion, though (Blaque was pretty convinced in that thread).

Lanz
07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't think opinion really matters here. The rule says 'target', and that's not a grey area. A spray only has 1 'target', and that's what you center the spray on.

Unless there's some debate of intent vs written rule. I don't see why it wouldn't be the intention, though.

SatireSphere
07-28-2012, 01:46 PM
As I said in my original post, my reading is the same as yours, but I've had people argue to me that all that matters is that you target the correct model, and then all your attack rolls are boosted.

Blaque said this in the thread I linked "The "that are" is not needed. Again, all that is stated as needed to be done is that the enemy model is the target, it is in 10" of the Woldwrath, and as a result, you get another die. The spray is a single attack with multiple rolls. Those rolls are boosted when you go after a valid target, as per how it is written.

Note this is some of the same logic that allows all-boosted sprays with Rhulic gun bunnies, as well only allowing some effects to trigger once off of sprays and similar group-attacks."

Lanz
07-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Not really. That's not how it's written. Target is a significant word, and only 1 model is the target in a spray. Period. If all the models were targets, than that would change the dynamic of sprays completely. For example, that same logic could be applied to any 'cannot target' effects, making it impossible to use a spray against such models, which is not true. You can use a spell-spray on, say, a unit with Spell Barrier, by making the 'target' of the spray something else behind the unit and catching the unit in the process.

If all those models counted as 'targets' that would be impossible.

And stuff like Powerful Shot and Tune-up are nothing like this. They don't make any mention of targets, they just say the attack rolls are boosted. Target doesn't matter.

I'm not sure what Blaque is thinking, but that's not how sprays work. That's never how sprays have worked. Even back in Mk1 they had these targeting dynamics.

I'd be interested in reading his post on the matter, because I'm curious what angle he's working to explain that.

Valander
07-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Hmm interesting. It does say targeting so that would mean its only the models that are actually targeted, which is only the original model targeted by a spray.
Strange.
This is correct given that wording. Note, of course, that final wording on the card and book could change from what is present in No Quarter.