PDA

View Full Version : Vengeance - If I advance, is attacking Mandatory?

onthedownlow
08-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Morning all.

As said in the title really. If my unit with Vengeance suffers a casualty and thus fits the requirement to trigger Vengeance (exact wording below), if I choose to advance 3", is the attack mandatory, much in the same sense as BackSwing now is?

Vengeance.

'During your maintenance phase, if one or more models in a unit were destroyed ... each model can advance 3" and make one normal melee attack'

Depends how subjective that 'can' is there.. if it applies to both individually then I'd say I can move and can choose to attack or not, if it is not the two are linked then I guess I move and attack, or I do neither.

Help much appreciated.

NChomsky3d
08-13-2012, 05:07 AM
I would argue that the "can" is applied to both, as it says "can A and B" not "can A and can B", so they'd have to attack if possible.

solkan
08-13-2012, 05:31 AM
I would argue that the "can" is applied to both, as it says "can A and B" not "can A and can B", so they'd have to attack if possible.

Why should "must" make an exception for impossibility? Remember that the rules say that "must" is the default, so you're arguing that "can A and B" is really "can (A and then must B)".

If the attack after the advance is mandatory, then you wouldn't be able to perform an advance which could not be followed by an attack.

Crate123
08-13-2012, 05:52 AM
Link to an Infernal saying that both parts are optional and independant from each other: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?30113-Vengeance-What-was-the-answer&highlight=vengeance+attack

onthedownlow
08-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Absolutely brilliant. Thanks Mr Crate123.