PDA

View Full Version : Infernal Contraption 2nd Edition differences

Whimper
08-26-2012, 05:03 PM
I just opened up my new box of Infernal Contraption 2nd Edition cards and had a look through the rules and cards. Here are some differences I've noticed:

1. All Sabotage cards now only last until the end of this activation. This is somewhat of a reprieve from the 1st edition sabotages which could stay on your machine all game until removed. This doesn't make sabotages weaker, though, because...

2. There are no Heat Sink upgrades. This means that no machine is safe from being sabotaged! And...

3. Sabotage cards will always activate if the attached contraption activates. There is no more option to "scrap one card to avoid these effects."

4. A few of the less desirable cards like Mekano Scales seem to be a better trade off. In the first edition, you would have to sacrifice your own hand or parts pile to hurt your opponent at a 1-to-1 ratio, or another card let you scrap 1 from parts in order to draw 1 from parts. In 2nd edition, these cards still hurt you, but have a stronger effect. Mekano Scales damages your opponent by 2, for example.

5. It seems obvious, but with 169 game cards, IF 2e is a smaller card game than IF+IF2 combined. The game will be over a lot more quickly in 4 player matches since there are fewer cards to go around.

6. Rules change: Everyone can scrap out and replace cards they don't like from their very first hand before play begins.

7. Rules change (I think): If you are starting your turn with 1-3 cards, you draw exactly 4 before play. You still draw 7 if you start with a zero-card hand.

8. Packaging change: The cards come in a deeper, sturdier box now, with a lift-off lid (instead of hinged and squishy).

9. Materials change: The cards seem thicker, and slightly texturized to be less slippy. There is a bumble-bee stripe border on the cards, matching the box artwork.

Are there more changes? Please post them in this thread if you notice them.

Overall, I think this might be a tighter and less confusing version of Infernal Contraption, and ideal if you want to give it to someone as a gift. I picked it up for $21 CDN, and you might find it cheaper. For someone who already has both IF and IF2, though, it's hard to recommend the purchase. It's a handful of very minor tweaks, and nothing really new at all.

i_like_tool
02-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Glad i read this thread as i am trying to, finally, pick up all things bodger before bodgermania and lock and load. You just sold me on grabbing infernal tomorrow before work