PDA

View Full Version : Tape measure bending

Alkony
08-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Pursuant to the discussion ongoing in General Discussion, it seems this would be a proper time to ask:

Can a tape measure be flexed/bent when measuring movement?

Ex: I am trying to move a model around an enemy warjack to shoot a solo hiding behind the 'jack. Because I want to shoot and avoid freestrikes, I want to move in an arc around the 'jack's melee range. Rather than measuring each inch of movement, I pull my tape measure out to my model's full movement distance and pull it to curve it around the 'jack.

If there is a Prime/Primal entry or Infernal ruling on this, I have not been able to find it.

Thenmy
08-29-2012, 02:33 AM
You're looking for this thread (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?112183-Measuring-Circular-Distance&highlight=tape+measure) which has Infernals chiming in.

the game rules do not allow you to move in arcs, but only in straight lines measured from the front of your base.

TheUnknownMercenary
08-29-2012, 04:48 AM
Straight lines just like the rulebook shows you.

The reason the rulebook says flexible tape measure is because you are only supposed to use the amount you need. Meaning you pull out the tape measure out to the distance that you are measuring, in a straight line.

If you used a non-flexible tape measure (wooden ruler) you would be measuring in two different directions. The direction you want to move and also the opposite direction behind the model and since you have no ability or reason to mesaure in the opposite direction then you are making an illegal measuring.