PDA

View Full Version : mini feats and running

piikalo
09-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Now I understand defensive formation on ifp does not allow you to run + use or use + run because each individual model must have its activation still available (failing a charge or slam or running denies you this). This always made sense to me because in the prime under run is specifically says what you can't do and feating is one of those things so i always assumed it covered mini feats as well. I just learned that"mini feat"is not a real game term like i thought so this changes things. Does running only prohibit defensive formation and not other mini feats like iron zeal on black dragons?

chrisBatson
09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
You can pop most of them and then run. Nealy all anytime things work prior to running.

Valander
09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
As you mention, there is no such game term as "mini feat." So there are no rules covering them. ;)

Really, it boils down to the specific wording for each ability. In general, you can do 'at any time' abilities (those which state "at any time during this model's activation") prior to running, as long as it doesn't state otherwise or requires having completed an action. In no case can you run and then do an 'at any time' ability, though, because your activation ends immediately after completing your movement if you run.

Compare, for example, Iron Zeal (which you mention):

Once per game during its unitʼs activation, this model can use Iron Zeal. For one round, while in formation models in this unit gain +4 ARM and cannot become stationary or be knocked down.
To Defensive Formation (with errata):

Once per game during its unitʼs activation, this model can use Defensive Formation. Immediately after models in this unit complete their actions this turn, models in this unit other than this one can make a full advance, any previous orders this unit was issued expire, and this unit is affected by the Shield Wall order.
Defensive Formation has a requirement that is not present in Iron Zeal ('Immediately after models in this unit complete their actions').

ViperClaw
09-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Depends how it is worded. "anytime during this models activation" can mean "mini-feat" declare run order. But if the rest of the rules of the mini-feat prohibit running or require some other part of the model/units activation to occur such as using its combat action then it could not be used with a run (forfeits action as you stated).

Ninjad by the Purple Penguin!

daveholliday
09-05-2012, 01:17 PM
The slang term 'mini feat' has come about to give a catch all, quick and easy name, to the once per game use abilities associated with unit attachments. Hence the unofficial use of the word Feat. These abilities are all called different things depending on which unit attachment you are looking at (if they have one).
Some examples include:
Black Dragon Unit Attachement - Iron Zeal
Iron Fang Pikemen Unit Attachment - Defensive Line
Mr Walls Privateer Unit Attachment - No Quarter
Dawnguard Invictors - Extended Fire

Each is different and the rule states when you can use it and what it does. Iron Zeal is usable once per game during this models activation. So you can use it before issuing the order to run (you cannot declare it after you run though because the activation will have ended immediately after completing the move). Similarly Extended Fire is usable once per game during this models activation. However that would be rather pointless using it on the same turn you run, as the +4 range on all models in formation would be meaningless.

Edit: man i type slow, ninja'd by everyone!!