PDA

View Full Version : Kovnik Jozef speeches without a unit

mmchugh
09-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Can Kovnik Jozef (Joe) make a speech, even if they are no Winter Guard around? This would be so he could benefit from one of his speeches himself.

The wording of the rules led me to believe you could, but if there weren't any WG he couldn't do the second part:

"During this model's activation, it can make one of the following speeches. When it does, choose a friendly Winter Guard unit. The speech affects this model and the unit [...]"

To me, it seems clear that having a unit to choose is not a requirement of making the speech, but there was some contention so I wanted to make sure.

MouseC
09-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Solid question.

If you have to declare a unit you are effecting in order to utilize the speech effect, I do not see how you are able to initiate the ability without the unit in question available to him. That would be my best guess if you are indicating everything on the card.

"When it does, choose a friendly Winter Guard unit" IF you cannot chose the unit, how can you use the ability? What is he giving himself a heroic pep talk :)

MagnustheJust
09-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Yarp - MouseC has the right of it!!

Only a crazy person would give speeches with no one around to hear them...
>turns back to empty room & continues rantings...<

Valander
02-18-2014, 09:13 AM
To me, it seems clear that having a unit to choose is not a requirement of making the speech
This is correct. See also https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?191288-Kovnik-Jozef-Grigorovich-speaking-to-himself