PDA

View Full Version : War Wagon in Melee rule

lpgascon
10-01-2012, 09:18 AM
If the Troll War Wagon is in melee do you have to shoot the models that are in melee with you first?
And do you get the -4 to RAT?

Maybe this was answered before but i couldn't find the thread.
(and it's not indicated with the Weapon Platform rules)

Thanks

chrisBatson
10-01-2012, 10:01 AM
If the Troll War Wagon is in melee do you have to shoot the models that are in melee with you first?
And do you get the -4 to RAT?

Maybe this was answered before but i couldn't find the thread.
(and it's not indicated with the Weapon Platform rules)

Thanks

If you are engaged with a target and can shoot it for whatever reason (or cast a spell at it), you do not get the -4 penalty.

lpgascon
10-01-2012, 10:36 AM
If you are engaged with a target and can shoot it for whatever reason (or cast a spell at it), you do not get the -4 penalty.

But am i allowed to shoot at something outside my melee range if i'm in melee? (and do i get -4 on that target)?

petegrrrr
10-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Do you have a source for that?

I was thinking the same thing, but I am having a hard time actually tracking down a rule that states that. I know it's true for SPELLS, but maybe I am missing the part where it mentions ranged attacks?

Rynth
10-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Firing into melee is at -4.
Battle Engines in general don't avoid this penalty, and Weapon Platform doesn't either.
Ruling: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?113222-Siege-Animantarax-Weapon-Platform-in-melee&highlight=animantarax

lpgascon
10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Firing into melee is at -4.
Battle Engines in general don't avoid this penalty, and Weapon Platform doesn't either.
Ruling: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?113222-Siege-Animantarax-Weapon-Platform-in-melee&highlight=animantarax

Man this is confusing...

Ok so if i read all these posts:

1- I'm allowed to shoot at the model in melee with me or at another model in shooting range / LOS
because the ruling on weapon platforms says "This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee"
So it's not like Gunfighter or PointBlank where it says that you're using your Range Weapon in Melee attacks (or as a melee weapon)

2- If i shoot the model that is in melee with me i get the -4 penalty because he is in melee and WeaponPlatform doesn't say i avoid the penalty

3- If i shoot another model in shooting range / LOS but he's not in melee with me or another model i dont get the penalty right?
(or do i get it because i am myself in melee/engaged...I don't think there is such a rule as you usually can't even shoot while being engaged)

Hopefully someone can clarify all of this.

p.s. I may look this up somewhere else but if i shoot the one in melee with me and i miss can it hit another model currently also in melee?
(it's an AOE...does it just deviates?)

DemonCalibre
10-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Alright the first thing you need to do, is don't think of Weapons Platform in context of other rules.

Weapons Platform allows you to fire your ranged weapons, as well as use your melee weapons. It also allows you to fire your ranged weapons after a special attack. It also allows you to fire your ranged weapons while engaged.

When you fire your ranged weapons while in combat, with the model with weapons platform you suffer the firing into melee penalty. Why? because it doesn't say you don't, and the model is in melee. If it is not an AOE, you randomize the shot in combat, and you don't count yourself(because you can't target yourself, so you are not a legal target for the shot randomization). If it is an AOE you deviate it, remember it can not scatter more then half the distance between you and the target.

You can shoot any model you can see that is in your field of fire weapon weapons platform, because it doesn't forbid it.

That is basically the long of short of it, it can be confusing because there are 3 - 4 rules that have to do with using a ranged weapon in hand to hand, that are all slightly different(Point Blank, Gun Fighter, Weapons Platform, SubCortex, and the Rule that Colossals have that escapes me at the moment).

Rynth
10-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Man this is confusing...

1- I'm allowed to shoot at the model in melee with me or at another model in shooting range / LOS
because the ruling on weapon platforms says "This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee"
So it's not like Gunfighter or PointBlank where it says that you're using your Range Weapon in Melee attacks (or as a melee weapon)

2- If i shoot the model that is in melee with me i get the -4 penalty because he is in melee and WeaponPlatform doesn't say i avoid the penalty

3- If i shoot another model in shooting range / LOS but he's not in melee with me or another model i dont get the penalty right?
(or do i get it because i am myself in melee/engaged...I don't think there is such a rule as you usually can't even shoot while being engaged)

Looks like you got it right.

p.s. I may look this up somewhere else but if i shoot the one in melee with me and i miss can it hit another model currently also in melee?
An AOE will deviate. A non-AOE will retarget as per standard shooting into melee rules, but you can't accidentally shoot yourself.

SageofLodoss
10-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Man this is confusing...

Correct

Yep.

If you shoot someone who is not engaged/engaging, then you do NOT get the -4 penalty. There is no penalty for you yourself being melee; normally there is just a rule saying you can't make ranged attacks at all in that case. Weapon Platform is getting you around that restriction.

I think AOE's just deviate off on a miss even when the target was in melee, but I'm more fuzzy on this one.