PDA

View Full Version : Faction MKII card decks

cpt_safety
02-27-2010, 01:10 PM
I just went and bought two decks of cards (Mercenaries and Protectorate) marked 'Faction Deck MkII' yet the Points Cost on the back of the cards are higher than what they are in the MKII Prime book. For example, Redeemer card is marked Point Cost (81), in the book, it's marked (6). Is the box of cards marked wrong? Do I need to take them back to the store? The store is an hour drive away and the deck should be as marked, I should think.

Perhaps I'm reading the wrong box on the card?

Help?

Multra
02-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Were the cards themselves in plastic wrapping?

cpt_safety
02-27-2010, 01:19 PM
No. The box was not shrink wrapped either, bit they had tape on the top.

Drillermaniac
02-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Wrong deck. The old cards were also called MKII. You need the MKII2010 cards.

SaintScythus
02-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Edit: Drillermaniac is right. Go see if you can return them. Your LGS shouldn't even have the older MKII cards on the shelf anymore.

cpt_safety
02-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Dang! I really don't want to drive back tomorrow morning, but maybe I'll have to exchange them when the store gets the new decks?! I made it a point to make sure that both decks said MKII so that I'd get the right ones. Should I take it up with the store or take it up with Privateer?

I'm just starting out with Warmachine. I acquired some Mercs and some Menoth minis in a trade. Some of the minis weren't in the new MKII Prime book, so I thought that I'd get the cards until I can get the new books for these factions.

The decks weren't inexpensive and I'd rather have the new ones.

Thanks for any help that anyone has. Why were they marked MKII long before MKII was out? Understand my confusion?

Valander
02-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Take it up with the store. Hopefully, they'll be cool and not give you any hassle.

Your confusion is not by any means yours alone; it's been a big point of contention and confusion since they decided to use "Mk II" twice. The decks you want will say 2010 on them, so that should help.

cpt_safety
02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks. The store's been good to me in the past. I'm sure that I won't get hassled. I just hope that they have those particular new decks in stock. I'll call before I drive...

Alex C
02-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm also a new player but thankfully realised the difference before buying my decks.

First there were Mk1 cards. When the Mk1 rules were revised at some point there were updated card decks released, called "Mk2" cards.

When the ruleset was revised, it was called Mk2. This is the current ruleset. With new rules came new cards. The card decks for the current ruleset are labelled "2010 Faction Deck" to distinguish them from the previous "Mk2" cards for the Mk1 ruleset.

Yes it's confusing. Yes a lot of new players have accidently bought the old cards. Hopefully you can get them switched without any problems.

cpt_safety
02-27-2010, 07:15 PM
I called the store. They haven't received the new cards yet, but they'll let me return the cards for full return tomorrow. I can either order the new cards or store credit or money back. They were cool. Thanks.

Warcaster Kirin Folken
02-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Your LGS shouldn't even have the older MKII cards on the shelf anymore.

Just a note here... what would you like the Store to do with them? Throw them away?

It may be MK1, but that doens't automaticly mean thier garbage, and last I knew PP didn't offer a return on old MK1 product for new MK2 product.

Stores should make a effort however to limit confuseion for new players. This would include labels (tags on shield and the decks) and employs that are aware of this difference to double checking with the customer at check out that they understand the difference.

cpt_safety
02-28-2010, 03:37 AM
In the mists of ancient time, I worked in a similar retail store. The LGS is being generous to help me out. There's no doubt that. I don't expect every one in the store to know all new releases of all new products and warn me accordingly. They are knowledgeable and when I have questions, they at least know who to ask if they don't know the answer. I have bought older minis there before either because they were discounted or because I was staunchly holding on to the previous incarnation of some other game system.

This is a unique situation. The cards were clearly marked MKII. An online retailer that I looked at before going to the store had the old pictures associated with the new cards, for they announced them as pre-orders in January and presumably didn't have the new imagery when they posted them. That's one of the reasons I thought that I had the right cards.

I don't know what the retailer will do with the cards. I would hope that Privateer had some program for exchange. If that's why the store is helping me out, that's great, but I don't necessarily think that it's my responsibility to follow up on what the retailer does with outdated stock.

IMHO, Privateer should bear some responsibility to help recent buyers at least through the transition. I appreciate Privateer's pledge to make no miniature obsolete. Some other companies don't (GW), but I do remember a rulebook exchange program from Battlefront Miniatures a few years ago when they went from 1st edition Flames of War to 2nd edition. In fact, I took advantage of this at the very store that I'm talking about now.

I like the cards. They're beautiful. If there was a simple translation of the facts and figures on the cards to MKII rules, I would keep them and just mark the card sleeves accordingly, but I don't think that this is a simple translation.

Thank you for letting me babble on. I will probably just order the new cards and pay them any difference in price and maybe pay them to mail them to me when they come in. I really don't want to irritate this retailer or drive them out of business. I made an honest mistake and they're willing to help me out. They know that I won't forget that as I shell out money regularly to feed my obsessions.

Thanks,
Bill

cpt_safety
02-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Went to the store this morning. They were, as predicted, fine with whatever I decided to do. I decided to trade in for stuff that he had in the stock. Got a good deal on a Hammersmith to balance my Cygnar force with my Khador force. Is there a source online for info on models and units not in the MKII rulebook? I guess I'll have to wait and get the new decks. I suppose that I can go to the Privateer store and buy the cards that I know I need until I am able to buy the new decks for the forces I have.

Thanks for your help all,
Bill

Wishing
02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Good for you. No, model stats aren't listed online, only in the card decks and upcoming faction books, which makes the decks pretty much a mandatory purchase for existing players wanting to play Mk2.

For the record, I suggest this thread be moved to general discussion, since it was never about game rules. :)