PDA

View Full Version : Deflection and Chain Lightning

jdeckert
10-25-2012, 06:37 PM
So I'm sure I knew the answer to this at one point, but I've forgotten and it might have even changed post Nemo3. Search-fu failed me at any rate.

Does deflection (+2 ARM versus ranged and magic attack damage rolls) work against chain lightning? Or ashes to ashes?

x3tsniper
10-25-2012, 09:18 PM
It is a magic damage roll. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the wonky targeting mechanisms of some of these spells. My 2 cents.

Falkman
10-25-2012, 10:15 PM
It is a magic damage roll. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the wonky targeting mechanisms of some of these spells. My 2 cents.
Yes, but Deflection only works against magic attack damage rolls (my emphasis). If it's not an attack Deflection won't work, and I'm pretty sure that the additional leaps from Chain lightning and the additional hits from Ashes to ashes are not attacks.

sleet01
10-25-2012, 10:29 PM
The additional damage rolls from Chain Lightning are considered to be part of the Chain Lightning spell, which is what allows them to be boosted with Focus, and thus are magical attack damage rolls. On the other hand those Electro-Leap damage rolls granted by the spell Lightning Shroud are not considered to be the effect of a spell or magical attack. See also Eruption of Spines. (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?50952-Rahn-and-Bethayne-s-Feats-Eruption-of-Spines-and-Chain-Blast&p=739126&viewfull=1#post739126) There was another thread (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?77285-What-constitutes-an-quot-enemy-attack-quot/page2) on this subject last year, too. The general consensus is, if you can boost the damage rolls via Focus, they are part of the attack.

Pretty sure the same holds true for Ashes to Ashes.

DemonCalibre
10-26-2012, 09:51 AM
My understanding is yes, it applies.

I believe we had a "because I said so" ruling on magical things like Chain Lightning/Eruption of Spines/Ashes to Ashes to make them all apart of the magical attack, so that they benefit from feats like Rahn's and Bethyane's.

Don't extrapolate from this ruling though, it's limited to those type of spells, and not others. The extra hits from Ashes to Ashes/Chain Lightning/etc exist in the area that hasn't gotten a big ruling on attack inheritances.