PDA

View Full Version : catastrophic damage vs. shield generators?

KuVenet
10-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Last night I was playing a game with a friend if mine. My rockram got a critical hit on his hyperion triggering catastrophic damage effect. But a rule question came up. We rolled off on it so the game didn't slow down but I.am.seeking clarification. Does the fill in all remaining damage boxes in the.last column hit apply to the ret shields? I say yes because it is technically a damage column. Am I right or wrong?
thank you in advance.

LEJ
10-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Shields are not a column on the damage grid. Catastrophic damage only applies if the damage goes through to the grid.

KuVenet
10-27-2012, 05:24 PM
But it does not state on the card damage column. It just says column or spiral. And according to the core rule book the shields are damage columns. That is were the issue arises.

LEJ
10-27-2012, 05:30 PM
No, the rule book (P.46 small rulebook) says they are two separae damage tracks marked before the columns in the grid.
In that section it does not refer to them as columns

KuVenet
10-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Okay so it has no effect until shields are gone. It was confusing given the example that was used with gorten is all.

LEJ
10-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I can see how it would be, I would hope for someone to correct me if I have it wrong but Catastrophic damage specifies to fill in the rest of the last column damaged, so you have to damage a column before it has any effect.

The Gorton example is specifically for effects that damage multiple columns simultaneously, which catastrophic damage does not.

Demeritus
10-27-2012, 09:31 PM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?60923-Exceptions-to-Ret-Field-Generator-damage&highlight=Retribution

This should help.