PDA

View Full Version : hills as cover?

Mooncow
10-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Here is my question-if a model is on the other side of a hill from the model shooting at it, so it is partially obscured by the hill but is still in LOS, does that model gain a cover bonus to its def?
Logically it should however in the rules I cant find anything on this. We played it last night that it gave no cover bonus but I wonder if we played it right.
I think terrain is one aspect of warmachine/hordes that confuses me the most!

Wiebel
10-30-2012, 10:35 PM
In most cases a hill does not grant cover, all terrain questions are resolved by before game discussions. If the hill is more like a plateau with a cliff type edge, you and your opponent can determine if it provides cover, but if it is smooth slop then probably not.

TheUnknownMercenary
10-30-2012, 11:59 PM
First, you should discuss before play, what each piece of terrain grants, cover, concealment, nothing, rough, open, impassable terrain, is it a forest, hill, deep water, etc...

If a terrain piece is a hill, this is covered in the rulebook page 88. If you are using just a plain hill as described in the rulebook, it states in the rulebook:

nor do they provide cover or concealment.

Mooncow
10-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Ah, OK, I see. It just seems a bit strange that being half obscured by a wall grants cover while being half obscured by a hill does not. But those are the rules!
Thanks for the reply.