PDA

View Full Version : bullet dodger and aoe ranged attack

drugfreeboy
11-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Emagnus has bullet dodger...Bullet dodger gives "dodge". If an enemy fires an aoe ranged attack at a model with dodge...but misses due to the attack roll failing or being out of range..Does the model get to move 2 inches? Or do you first roll the deviation template...See if the model is under the AoE, and if not...THEN dodge 2 inches? And if the model is under the AoE, then that would mean the attack did not "miss" so the model would not get to move 2 inches correct?

to phrase all that a little more clearly...my current assumption is that if an aoe ranged attack is fired at a model with dodge...you would:

1. measure range for the ranged attack. If out of range, it "misses" -- doesn't directly hit, if in range and no stealth..attack roll (this "miss" will not have triggered dodge yet)
2. do attack roll, if that "misses" -- aka not "direct hit", deviate (still too early to dodge)
3. roll deviation to see where the template lands
4. if template covers the model with "dodge", he is "hit", so not "missed"...so no dodge movement. If the template does not cover the model, he is "missed" in every possible definition...so he gets two inches of movement.

is that correct?

pRophaniti1978
11-11-2012, 10:00 AM
The attack is considered a 'miss' if nD6+RAT<DEF after modifiers. This will trigger 'dodge'. The attack is then fully resolved, including scattering and damage. Dodge then resolves as written in the rules description.

The thing to remember here is that 'miss' and 'hit' are not mutually exclusive terms in this rules case.

Skylifter
11-11-2012, 11:52 AM
The attack is considered a 'miss' if nD6+RAT<DEF after modifiers. This will trigger 'dodge'. The attack is then fully resolved, including scattering and damage. Dodge then resolves as written in the rules description.

The thing to remember here is that 'miss' and 'hit' are not mutually exclusive terms in this rules case.

Interesting question. And if it is as you say, then do you first roll deviation, or do you first complete the two-inch-advance from dodge? Because maybe I'd want to advance in a different direction depending on the deviation.

TheUnknownMercenary
11-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Dodge states that after the ranged attack roll that misses the target is resolved the model gets to move.

Part of resolving an AOE ranged attack is dealing with the deviation of the attack if it misses it's intended target.

Dominar Eeyore
11-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Sorry, TUM I am still a little confused. Does the placement of the AOE happen before dodge or after? Can the dodging player wait to see where the template stops and then dodge away?

Falkman
11-12-2012, 08:06 AM
You place the AOE, resolve any damage it causes, and THEN dodge. So you can't wait to see where the template is placed and then dodge before the damage roll. You'll have to wait with dodging until after all damage rolls from the AOE have been resolved.

Valander
11-12-2012, 09:59 AM
You place the AOE, resolve any damage it causes, and THEN dodge. So you can't wait to see where the template is placed and then dodge before the damage roll. You'll have to wait with dodging until after all damage rolls from the AOE have been resolved.
Correct.

Dodge will trigger if, and only if, the attack roll misses (or if the attack was out of range, or other "automatically miss" effects like Stealth). In the case of an AoE, the template is moved for deviation after this miss, and it may still cover the model with Dodge, which suffers the effects of being under the template. After the attack is resolved, the model with Dodge may move.

Whiteout
11-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Soo, I read all the replies but I'm still confused. After a missed shot, dodge trigger occurs but before it resolves the AOE scatters. If the AOE scatters and hits the original target, does it still get to dodge after damage roll?

MagnustheJust
11-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Soo, I read all the replies but I'm still confused. After a missed shot, dodge trigger occurs but before it resolves the AOE scatters. If the AOE scatters and hits the original target, does it still get to dodge after damage roll?

Yes. Here's an effect breakdown for you as I understand it :

- Magnus2 has Bullet Dodger on himself, upkept.
- enemy model shoots AoE at Magnus2.
- attack misses, scatter is rolled.
-- a) AoE drifts off of Magnus2, and then he gets to use the Dodge if desired.
-- b) AoE drift still catches Magnus2 on the blast, and a blast damage roll is rolled. After the blast damage is resolved, then Magnus2 may take the Dodge bonus if desired.

Hope this helps you a bit more...

Warfrog
11-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Order of activation
1. Attack is declared
2. Range is measured
3. Attack roll is made, For this example we are going to assume miss
4. Dodge is triggered, However the movement does not take effect until after attack is completely resolved.
5. Deviate template
6. Blast damage rolls for models under template, If the model with dodge is under the template it takes a blast damage roll just like any other model
7. Attack is now completely resolved
8. Model with dodge may now move 2 inches.

The model with dodge can still take blast damage even though the attack missed. He cannot move until after the template is deviated and blast damage rolls are resolved.