PDA

View Full Version : Unit Size

Sigmatron
12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Are you aloud to go above your unit size when adding new models if a limit is not stated? Epic Goreshade's Elite Cadre allows a Bane Thrall to be added to the unit for each enemy warrior model slain by the Thralls, Does this have a cap other than the models the opponent is fielding? I.E can it go above its starting size of 12 (10 + UA)?

SageofLodoss
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Are you aloud to go above your unit size when adding new models if a limit is not stated? Epic Goreshade's Elite Cadre allows a Bane Thrall to be added to the unit for each enemy warrior model slain by the Thralls, Does this have a cap other than the models the opponent is fielding? I.E can it go above its starting size or 12 (10 + UA)?

You can add models above a unit's starting size using abilities such as eGoreshade's elite cadre or the Blackbane Ghost Raiders Reanimation as long as it does not specify a limit. Keep in mind the difference between adding/creating new models and 'returning' models to play when looking at different abilities though.

Sigmatron
12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Ok so, eGoreshade's feat "Returns" models to play (1-10). Since models are added to the unit through Elite Cadre does his feat allow you to add to the unit beyond its starting size? Start at 12, 4 die (not removed from play), 6 are added due to kills (currently 14) can you then feat to make it 18 models or something similiar?

SageofLodoss
12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Ok so, eGoreshade's feat "Returns" models to play (1-10) do the since models are added to the unit through Elite Cadre does his feat allow you to add to the unit beyond its starting size? Start at 12, 4 die (not removed from play), 6 are added due to kills (currently 14) can you then feat to make it 18 models or something similiar?

Because eGoreshade does both returnign and creating/adding, he's a somewhat unique case that I believe requires a bit of bookkeeping on your part. You would need to keep track of which models were destroyed (ignoring those removed from play), and new ones created. For some eGoreshade players, this means the expensive task of having enough Bane Thrall units to cover both ones you bring and ones that you create, rather than using destroyed models (literally) to stand in for the newly created ones. It's not super bookkeeping, as in no need to religiously mark the models, but just having enough Bane Thralls to cover your creations and keep track of how many you'd lost will help you keep track of how many you can actually bring back when you feat, because the feat will affect anyWarrior models that have been lost from your still existing units up to that point.

Goreshades return feat (removing some warrior models to bring in different ones) could return previously destroyed Bane Thralls to a Bane Thrall unit that has exceeded its starting size due to Elite cadre, because he is returning those models that were already part of the unit. The Elite Cadre produces new ones that are added to a unit.

Like I said, fairly unique since he mixes both ressurection and new guys being added to a unit. Models have to added to the same unit they were in when on the table. So the group of 14 couldn't be made 18 unless they did have 18 models in the unit at some point before the feat popped or if your bookeeping shows they lost people that you replaced via elite cadre.. So if your bookkeeping said the unit lost 4 guys, then gained more and was at 14 when feat popped, those 4 could be brought back to make it 18 in that case.

Sigmatron
12-07-2012, 11:57 AM
during friendly games, I have used a seperate set of color dice to represent "destroyed" Bane Thralls for the purpose of his feat (placing the dice next to each unit), that way I could recycle Bane models for adding as I don't have a huge supply at this moment lol. Would this be acceptable tournament wise(using Dice as a marker instead of acutal models)? (I understand it would be up to the TO, but as an opponent would you have a problem with it?)

SageofLodoss
12-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Check with TO. Stricly speaking Steamroller requires models be represented by their actual models. As long as your method allows for the models that are on the table to be what they are, you can bookkeep it however you'd like off the table and there should be no issue. Otherwise, just check with TO, as most will accommodate you--at that point its strictly as TO decision as opposed to a rules issue.