PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Strike animus and Last Stand

Ruffy
12-23-2012, 08:06 AM
If a Warbeast or Warlock is under the effect of Lightning Strike (animus that grants Sprint), does it still get to make the full advance at the end of its activation if it replaces the animus with another one after destroying an enemy model?

Similarly, if a model with Last Stand cast on it makes a melee attack and the spell ends before the end of the turn, does it still get removed?

tankrandall
12-23-2012, 08:08 AM
yes a model that attacked while under last stand is removed even if last stand is removed . Its been asked and answered a bunch but I am not going to look it up on my phone.

Ruffy
12-24-2012, 07:03 AM
So does the same logic apply to Lightning Strike? If I cast Lightning Strike on Molik Karn, then kill a model and afterwards cast Fate Walker, do I get to make an advance at the end of MKs activation and one more advance after everything has activated? Would that mean 22" advance with Savagery? :)

Mr. Golden Deal
12-24-2012, 12:37 PM
So does the same logic apply to Lightning Strike? If I cast Lightning Strike on Molik Karn, then kill a model and afterwards cast Fate Walker, do I get to make an advance at the end of MKs activation and one more advance after everything has activated? Would that mean 22" advance with Savagery? :)
No, it doesn't. The model loses Lightning Strike when Fate Walker is put on it (since they're both animi) and won't have Sprint any more. Only a model with Sprint can make the advance.

yshsalas
12-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I agree with Mr. Golden deal. Sprint says "At the end of it's activation, if a model with sprint destroyed......" since it does not have Sprint at the end of activation, it cannot advance.

Ruffy
12-24-2012, 04:28 PM
But what's the difference to Last Stand here? Both things can expire before one of the effects triggers, so why would one of them trigger after expiration and the other one wouldn't?

Mr. Golden Deal
12-24-2012, 05:21 PM
But what's the difference to Last Stand here? Both things can expire before one of the effects triggers, so why would one of them trigger after expiration and the other one wouldn't?
Last Stand stand says that models affected are destroyed at the end of turn. Once they're affected by last stand, the 'destroy at end of turn' effect is added to the list of things to resolve in that turn. There's no mention of anything that could undo or overwrite the effect so the model would still be destroyed even if the spell drops.

The difference is that when the beast no longer has Lightning Strike, it no longer has Sprint and so it can't possibly qualify as "a model with Sprint" to make the advance.

Ruffy
12-25-2012, 06:13 AM
I think you would have to deliberately read those two things that way, but you certainly can.

Last Stand:
"If an affected model makes a melee attack, it is destroyed at the end of turn."

"It" in this context is "affected model", meaning that if an effected model makes a melee attack, the affected model is destroyed at the end of turn. Even if the wording does not say, according to previous answers, the model only has to be affected when it makes the attack though, not when it's time to be destroyed.

Sprint:
"At the end of its activation, if a model with Sprint destroyed one or more enemy models with melee attacks this activation it can make a full advance."

The model with Lightning Strike definitely is a model with Sprint when it makes the attack.

MidwestJedi
12-25-2012, 06:23 AM
The key here is how Sprint is phrased. Sprint is checked at the end of the activation, and then looks into the past to see if it killed a model. It doesn't make the check when the attack is made and then set a marker for the future. So, you would get to the end of the activation, and if Fate Walker was put on, Sprint is no longer there. Thus the condition is no longer present telling you to look into the past to check if a model was killed.

TheUnknownMercenary
12-25-2012, 06:32 AM
The issue here is the trigger and the timing of each ability

Last Stand triggers when the model makes a melee attack, this triggers the ability and the model is destroyed at the end of the turn, even if the model loses Last Stand before the end of the turn.

Spint does not actually trigger until the end of the model's activation but in order for it to trigger at the end of its activation it must have had Sprint on it when it destroyed one or more enemy models with a melee attack. The destruction of the enemy models by a melee attack allows Sprint to be able to trigger at the end of the activation but does not actually trigger the ability at that time. If the model does not have Sprint when it ends it's activation, it does not get to make the full advance because it does not have Sprint at that time.