PDA

View Full Version : new to hordes... rule clarification

Soaponrope37
12-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey guys,
I'm new to hordes (today) and I have a quick rule clarification question... when it comes to forcing a warbeast, is that done in the maintenance phase? And then you threshold check next in the control phase?
Just a little confused and need to get straightened out so I can try out my new Legion starter. Thanks ahead of time.

Northern Ronin
12-25-2012, 02:42 PM
When a warbeast is forced, it is generally done during the warbeast's activation (i.e when used to boost, buy or use its animus) The threshold check is only done at the end of Maintenance, after you have leached, and there is still fury left on the warbeast. There is no need to advance plan forcing like there is for focus allocation.

Saraminss
12-25-2012, 02:43 PM
you force warbeasts to take additional attacks or to boost attacks and damage... this generates Fury on them...

you check for frenzy in the maintanence phase after your warlocks leaches the fury off the warbeasts to himself (up to his max) and you only nee to check for frenzy if there is fury still on the warbeast after leaching.

Nija'd

oh and you actually cannot force a warbeast outside of it's activation...

Soaponrope37
12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Oh I see... so I force to add fury to the warbeast to spend on spells and abilities (like focus). But when leaching I can pull the fury ahead of time before I actually force the fury and add the tokens. But can only force the left over fury? Or can I only leach and threshold fury left over from last turn? Sorry still just need some technicality clarification. Thanks.

vintersbastard
12-25-2012, 03:29 PM
oh and you actually cannot force a warbeast outside of it's activation...
Sure you can, when the rules say so (e.g. forcing to stand up/remove stationary).

MagnustheJust
12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh I see... so I force to add fury to the warbeast to spend on spells and abilities (like focus). But when leaching I can pull the fury ahead of time before I actually force the fury and add the tokens. But can only force the left over fury? Or can I only leach and threshold fury left over from last turn? Sorry still just need some technicality clarification. Thanks.

You start your turn by leaching fury off all the warbeasts in your warlock's control area, up to the fury stat they have.

If there is any excess fury on any of the warbeasts, you make a frenzy check - similar to a command check. You have to roll under the warbeast's threshold stat on 2D6, modifying the threshold number by the amount of fury currently on the warbeast. If you pass, hooray for you!! Nothing bad happens... If you fail, the beast frenzies, and attacks the nearest model to it - friend or foe, but foes first.

Soaponrope37
12-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Ah I see thank you! Now it makes sense. For frenzy the quick start says it's closest in LOS. Is that front arc only?

Northern Ronin
12-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Ah I see thank you! Now it makes sense. For frenzy the quick start says it's closest in LOS. Is that front arc only?

Yes, if it frenzies, first it looks for enemies in its melee range. If there are none, it then goes to the closest thing it can see (friendly or enemy) and charges it. If it can't see anyone, it will turn around and walk towards the closest thing (Friendly or enemy) and try to make an melee attack if it can (it is not a charge, just a normal advance, but being a Frenzy, the damage is still boosted).

MagnustheJust
12-25-2012, 05:29 PM

All line of sight is front arc only, unless the model in question has an ability, spell, or animus upon it granting circular vision - 360-degree arc.

Soaponrope37
12-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Super helpful