PDA

View Full Version : Judicator's Reliquary requires focus from the caster?

jandrese
12-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Reliquary
This model is allocated 1 additional focus point during your Control Phase. The S boxes of this model's damage grid represent its Reliquary system. While its Reliquary system is crippled, this model loses the benefits of Reliquary.

Apparently some people have been playing this such that the warcaster must allocate at least one focus to the Judicator for it to benefit from the Reliquary, on the reading that "additional focus" can only come when there was an initial focus allocation.

In other words:

Warcaster allocates 0, Judicator has 0. Warcaster allocates 1, Judicator has 2.

Is this intended? I think most players (myself included) have been simply giving the Judicator 1 free focus as long as the S boxes are still intact and then allocating on top of that, but that may be wrong.

dungeongod
12-28-2012, 09:42 AM
I am not sure why "additional" would require 1 - since it could be in "addition" to the 0 that was originally allocated?

Edit:

As I am prone to doing recently, I looked up the definition of additional (according to Google, so grain of salt and all that) :
Adjective
Added, extra, or supplementary to what is already present or available.

The colloquial definition is not that it is in addition to something that must be there, but to "whatever is already present." In this case, I would argue there are 0 focus allocated, and then it generates 1.

rydiafan
12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
I am not sure why "additional" would require 1 - since it could be in "addition" to the 0 that was originally allocated?

This, with a hearty dose of "what ever implied otherwise?"

joelker41
12-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Subscribing to see if anything except the dictionary is used to support an argument here.

Doblin James
12-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Aren't there Cryx jacks that have that rule (I'm looking at you deathjack)? It's always seemed to me that you get the free focus.

I think the additional just means you don't lose the ability if you decide to allocate focus.

jandrese
12-28-2012, 09:51 AM
That's how I read the rule too, but apparently it's not a universal reading.

Valander
12-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Apparently some people have been playing this such that the warcaster must allocate at least one focus to the Judicator for it to benefit from the Reliquary, on the reading that "additional focus" can only come when there was an initial focus allocation.

They are playing it wrong.

You do not have to allocate 1 from your warcaster in order to gain the additional from Reliquary. See the Seether's Soul Drive for similar wording, which works the same way.

Sigmatron
12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
If he is allocated 0, Judicator gains 1. If he is allocated 2, he gains 1 putting him at 3. If he is allocated 3, he gains 0.

Valander
12-28-2012, 10:02 AM
If he is allocated 0, Judicator gains 1. If he is allocated 2, he gains 1 putting him at 3. If he is allocated 3, he gains 0.
While you're correct in the summing, careful with the use of the word "gain" there, as it is possible to exceed the allocation limit of 3 by "gaining focus" from other sources. Reliquary specifically allocates focus, so you still cannot go above the "3 from allocation" limit (as your math above shows correctly).

moob
12-28-2012, 11:54 AM
If allocated 3 from the warcaster, it would be allocated the additional focus up to 4 if it was a bonded jack (such as to eFeora), yes?

Alviaran
12-28-2012, 12:08 PM
If allocated 3 from the warcaster, it would be allocated the additional focus up to 4 if it was a bonded jack (such as to eFeora), yes?

Yes since bonding raises the allocation limit to 4.