PDA

View Full Version : Melee defense bonus behind wreck marker?

moz
03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
As a wreck marker is neither an obstruction or an obstacle, I am reading that it will not provide +2 defense bonus as intervening terrain from melee attack modifiers.

Just making sure I have this right, I have apparently had Cover and Intervening terrain intermixed in my understanding of the rules.

Valander
03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Right. According to p. 58 (PDF anyway, which I have here at work):

...gains +4 DEF against ranged and magic attack rolls.

Since cover doesn't ever affect melee attack rolls (neither does concealment, for what it's worth), the cover granted by wreck markers also does not affect melee attack rolls.

silverpuppy
03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
no book on me but i thought if part of your base was obscured by cover you recieved a +2 def in melee as well? or am i thinking of something different?

N0rdicNinja
03-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Taken straight from the Hordes .pdf under "Melee Attack Modifiers"

A model with any portion of
its volume obscured from its attacker by an obstacle or an
obstruction gains +2 DEF against melee attack rolls.

So forests and the like wouldn't do anything for you, but if someone was trying to attack through a wall for example you would get the +2 DEF.

Edit: With regards to the OPs question I don't think it would grant any benefits. As a Wreck Marker counts as rough terrain that grants cover. It is neither an Obstruction nor and obstacle. So I don't think the Wreck Marker will effect melee.

Der Dexter
03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
if your base is:

Intervening Terrain:

A model with any portion of its

volume obscured from its attacker by an obstacle or an
obstruction gains +2 DEF against melee attack rolls.

so you basically need a wall or rocks/somesuch, that is an obstruction/obstacle, to gain that +2 def.

i also just realised that in the last tourney I played this wrong, claiming that Def-bonus from a wreck, that only rough terrain that does provide cover, but isn't an obstacle/obstruction, thus not providing +2def in melee.

all in all, just as Valander just said, as well

Edit: took my time.

Valander
03-05-2010, 12:36 PM
As others pointed out, obstructions and obstacles do provide cover for melee. Wrecks don't, because wreck markers are wreck markers--they're not terrain, they're not models, they're just wreck markers and therefore only follow the rules for wreck markers.