PDA

View Full Version : Druid Overseer and Devouring POW calculation

Captain Spooky
01-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Last night, my opponent cast Devouring, which missed its target, but still caught a few things in the blast. there was a disagreement about how the pow of the blast damage is calculated.

my theory:
Pow = 8+number of models in the unit = 16, halved = 8
(8+X)/2

his theory:
Pow 8, halved, + number of models in the unit = 12
8/2+X

X = the number of models in the unit (8) in both exampes.

my theory is based on the premise that the number of models in the unit modify the base POW of the attack. which is halved because of blast damage.

cheddercaveman
01-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Effects that add to the POW of the weapon are added first, Blast damage is then 1/2 of the POW of the weapon. In the case of the Devouring, Druids add to the POW, so you end up with POW 8 + number of models (7) = POW 15, Blast Damage will be 8.

Just to explain the confusion he's having, effects that add to the DAMAGE of an effect are actually added like his theory. However, if you read the Devouring you'll see that its adding to the POW not to the Damage. An example of adding to the damage would be like Ogrun Assault Corp all CRAing, and then blast damage would be POW 12 / 2 = POW 6 + 5 = 11

DarkLegacy
01-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Blast damage is 2d6 + 1/2 POW. You know the POW of the attack because it states POW 8 + 1 POW for each model in the unit. Thus, it is POW 8 + 1 X each member, take that total, divide by 2.

For a spell that works different, look at Death Knell on Lich Lord Asphyxious. That spell states that the number of models in the effect are added to the damage roll, which would happen after the halving of the POW. This would be his theory.