PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a failed trample?

Leo_the_Rat
01-28-2013, 04:57 AM
By that I mean if you declare a trample attack and fall short or for some reason do not get to make an attack is it considered a failed trample? I'm thinking specifically of the troll battle wagon's weapon platform rule. It says that after making a trample attack you may fire your ranged weapons. If you don't make any attacks can you still shoot or is that part of the rule there for timing purposes?

Obeisance
01-28-2013, 05:04 AM
There's no such thing as a failed trample.

rydiafan
01-28-2013, 05:22 AM
You may trample any distance you want, so it's impossible to fall short. The "SPD + 3" trample distance is the maximum you may select, not a set value.

Leo_the_Rat
01-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Maybe I just wasn't clear enough. The weapon platform special rule (trollblood battlewagon) says that if you make a power attack or initial melee attack you can then make ranged attacks as well. A friend of mine uses the following tactic and I'm not really sure if it is legal or not.
He declares a trample attack in my general direction. Moves his wagon 10" (7 base + 3 trample) not contacting any of my models and then makes his ranged attacks. Since he didn't make a power "attack" but just the move portion of the trample is this enough to trigger the "may then make ranged attacks" portion of the rule?

MouseC
01-28-2013, 07:48 AM
My understanding, he did actually declare and make the power attack, it just did not move over any models triggering the attacks. It sounds similar how certain models can trample then utilize spells (Karchev, Deathjack).

If the model he utilized says it can fire after it tramples, what would prevent it?

Warfrog
01-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Yep that works. Making a trample and not making an attack does not end you activation. War Wagon can shoot after this due too its rules on its card allowing ranged attacks after its melee attacks

Edit: tramples also don't need a target. You pick a direction and move. So there is no way to fall short cause there is no target you have to get too.

Mod_Neldar
01-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Trample is simply move up to SPD+3 and every model you pass over make a melee attack roll against them.

You do not have to pass over other models to have a successful Trample.

It is impossible to fail a Trample the way a Charge can fail though you may have to rewind if you can't fit in your landing spot.

Your friend's tactics are sound and within the rules.

Leo_the_Rat
01-28-2013, 08:34 AM
I hope this doesn't sound like whining but... Why wouldn't someone just keep making trample attacks or charges all the time? It looks like the wagons true movement is 10" rather than the 7 on its card.

Yes, I know that this may be straying into the area of tactics but I'm really trying to wrap my head around the fact that even if it is a legal tactic it just seems wrong to me. Sort of like making a charge at a unit across the board to get the 3 extra inches of movement (at least there's a penalty of losing the rest of your activation for doing so).

Mod_Neldar
01-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Sometimes you have to run. Otherwise trample is the better option.

Probably time to close this thread. We've strayed away from rules now.

scruff
01-28-2013, 08:45 AM
All legal so use them - no point moaning about them ;-)

DemonCalibre
01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
You can't Fail a Trample

You can try to trample some place and not have enough room to land there, and have to rewind but you do not fail.

@Leo that is because with both tramples and charges, you can't perform anything other then a strait line move, many times you need to shift to the left or to the right, Make an L shape, or even an S, also Ride-by-Attack is freaking amazing, and you can't Trample or Charge and do that.

Valander
01-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Sometimes you have to run. Otherwise trample is the better option.

Probably time to close this thread. We've strayed away from rules now.
Yup. Tactics go elsewhere.

You cannot "fail" a trample.