PDA

View Full Version : Continuous affects and when they happen??

JackBauerGod
02-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Hey Everyone i just want to check on something in a game i played the other day.
I set a warcaster on fire using a ravagore's weapon with his animus. Now i know that in the maintaince phase he has to roll to see if he can lose the fire or keep burning away. The warcaster failed his roll and suffered the power 12 damage roll. Now the Argument began. I say he takes the power 12 roll as he is with what remaining focus he has on him (i think it was 2) and doesnt get his upkeep arm spell either. He said he should get it with all 6 focus and his upkeep spell.
in the end we came to a gamers decision and rolled a dice (he won)
How would you resolve this problem?
Any help would be awesome

Valander
02-13-2013, 09:14 AM
During the Maintenance Phase, perform the following steps in order:
1. Remove all focus points from your models.

2. Check for expiration of continuous effects on any models you control. After removing all expired continuous effects, resolve the effects of those that remain in play. All damage dealt by continuous effects is resolved simultaneously (see p. 244).

3. Resolve all other effects that occur during the Maintenance Phase.
Focus is removed prior to checking continuous effects. However, as upkeep spells are not expired until their upkeep is not paid, which happens in the Control Phase, they will still provide ARM benefits.

So, you were both wrong. ;) He would have taken the POW 12 with effectively zero​ Focus on him, but his upkeep spell would apply.

Valander
02-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Continuous Effect: Fire is always against a model's base armor.
Not entirely correct. See my post above.

oconnor0
02-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Yup, I mistakenly thought spells always expired at the end of your round/beginning of your turn.

JackBauerGod
02-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. So just to check in my head. All focus is removed from said warcaster but if he has Arcane Shield on for example he would still have that +3ARM against the fire damage and then he can decide if he wants to drop the upkeep or not afterwards??

Valander
02-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. So just to check in my head. All focus is removed from said warcaster but if he has Arcane Shield on for example he would still have that +3ARM against the fire damage and then he can decide if he wants to drop the upkeep or not afterwards??
That's correct. Note, though, that non-upkeep spells and animi will expire at the very beginning of the turn, even before the Maintenance Phase starts. So, for example Tenacity would not grant the +1 ARM against continuous effects.

JackBauerGod
02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Many thanks for clearing this up makes setting Warcasters on fire that little bit more fun now!!!