PDA

View Full Version : Tall in the saddle

goesgoch
03-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Does it still allow you to see over same size models i.e. small base completely behind other small base. Or is it only in combat this works?
Thanks.

vintersbastard
03-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Tall in the Saddle
Cavalry models ignore intervening models with bases
smaller than their own when making melee attacks.

Was the same in Mk I.

brotherscott
03-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Also, from Prime MK II, page 81: "When declaring a charge target, cavalry models ignore intervening models with bases smaller than their own."

Pandewm
03-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Does this mean that a heavy jack with reach can't hit over a small model?
If so: WHY?

Hjelmen0
03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
That depends on the target, Pandewm. If the target is a medium or large based model, then any model with reach can attack that target over a small based model.

If the target is small based, then no model would be able to attack the target over other small based models.

As to "why"? Beats me... that's intent, and I doubt you'll get an answer to that.

Pandewm
03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Why was actually meant for the: where and how does it says so in the rules.

Hjelmen0
03-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Ah, sorry :D

That is in the section on LoS. If you read the section on pg. 43 called Line of Sight, there is a four-step sequence to determining line of sight. Step 3 is the one that is pertinent to your question.

For clarity, you'll have to combine the LoS section above with the following from pg. 50:

A model can make melee attacks against any target in its melee range that is in its line of sight.
Since being able to make attacks is dependent on melee range and line of sight, the LoS rules mentioned above will tell you why a model cannot attack a model that is completely behind another, larger based, model.

Pandewm
03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Allright, thank you. :)

Hjelmen0
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
'snot a problem, chief :)

Jrandom36
03-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I am not sure I understand.

Tall in the Saddle
Cavalry models ignore intervening models with bases
smaller than their own when making melee attacks.

Since smaller models don't block LOS, why does this matter? Isn't that restating the obvious?

dicegod
03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
The attacking models base size doesn't determine LoS at all unless considering elevation.

It depends on the target's base size.

You can't see a man hunter behind a unit of IFP, but you can see the butcher. A normal model wouldn't be able to attack the manhunter through a line of troopers, whilst they would be able to attack the butcher.
The cavalry can attack both, being able to attack the manhunter because even though their LoS would be blocked by the IFP they have tall in the saddle, allowing them to attack through.