PDA

View Full Version : Charge and Energizer...

MagnustheJust
02-23-2013, 05:46 AM
My search-fu turned up diddly squat on this, so here goes my stupid question for the day. And bear with me if the question seems a bit delusional... I have a bad chest cold and a 102° fever at the moment.

MacBain!! charges and enemy model, going his full 9" charge movement
{base SPD 6 + 3" charge} and the enemy model is 13" away, clearly outside of his 2" reach melee range. Since the movement and action are separate entities in the full action of the charge, after I perform the movement, could I cast Energizer for 2" of additional wiggle, and then make the charge attack?

And yes, I do realize that in the above equation, checking my control area would dictate that you energizer first. But sometimes, in the heat of battle, you get tunnel vision...

solkan
02-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Nope, doesn't work.

The moment you end your movement you determine whether the charge succeeded or failed. Teleporting, jumping, or anything else that you can do after that won't retroactively change whether the charge succeeded or failed.

MacBain does his 9" advance, and then checks to see if the charge failed. In your scenario he's out of melee range, so the charge fails, and his activation ends immediately without any opportunity to cast spells.

MagnustheJust
02-23-2013, 06:11 AM
Nope, doesn't work.

The moment you end your movement you determine whether the charge succeeded or failed. Teleporting, jumping, or anything else that you can do after that won't retroactively change whether the charge succeeded or failed.

MacBain does his 9" advance, and then checks to see if the charge failed. In your scenario he's out of melee range, so the charge fails, and his activation ends immediately without any opportunity to cast spells.

Thanks Solkan. That's what I thought, but it never hurts to ask... http://www.metal-archives.com/board/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

John Q.
02-23-2013, 06:34 AM
You could charge another model that's three inches closer, and then cast energizer before making your charge attack though.

So then you make your energizer movement and still get your initial attack. Won't get the charge dice on damage against the new target, but you still get to make your initial attack, and avoid hitting the first model. This way, you can run one of your own dudes into position to energizer off him into your intended target.

solkan
02-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Part of the point was that you'd be perfectly okay casting Energizer before the charge, but you don't get the opportunity to do it afterwards. By the time you've declared the charge, it's too late to move the sacrificial model into position, anyway. ;)

John Q.
02-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Part of the point was that you'd be perfectly okay casting Energizer before the charge, but you don't get the opportunity to do it afterwards. By the time you've declared the charge, it's too late to move the sacrificial model into position, anyway. ;)

Yeah, I realise now that while that trick is great for Cyclone, it is, by it's nature, less useful or necessary with Energiser. Consider it a brain fart :P.

Valander
02-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Let's keep the tactics in the faction forums, please.