PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying Free Strikes

Brimstone88
03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Okay, stupid question of the day. Under free strikes prime/al states free strikes recieve +2 to the melee attack roll an if they hit are boosted. THEN (caps intntionl) it goes on to state that free strikes are lways against tge back arc. Maybe its too late and I've inhaled too much paint but I'm suddenly curious if I've been playing them right. Are Free Strike rolls made at MAT +2 against the back arc (Def-2)? Ie Mat 6 hits Def 13 on free strike on anything but snake eyes?

Currently I read it as your always striking at a +2 Mat or -2 Def(same diff really) as i read it as justifying the bonus because the strike was in the back arc.

Thanks

Sigmatron
03-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Free strikes are made against the back arc, this is relevant for things that trigger for being in a models back arc (such as backstrike). You don't get +4 to hit (2 for free strike and 2 for attacking in the rear arc). So Mat 6 free striking def 13 would need 5+ to hit.

Brimstone88
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Alright, awesome. Again, I haven't been playing out that way, but the last part wording threw me as I a reading it tonight.
Like I said, stupid question.

Thanks

Alviaran
03-03-2013, 09:53 PM
To note, you only get the +2 Backstrike bonus when you spend your entire activation in their back arc. Since it is not your activation, you do not get the bonus. (This also means that you do NOT get Backstab bonuses on free strikes)

It does mean though that you are hitting them without their shield or other benefits they get for being hit in the front arc. That is what makes it important that free strikes are against the back arc.

Sigmatron
03-03-2013, 10:21 PM
You don't get backstab because under free strikes it says you do not benefit from back strike bonuses (p.51prime). Sorry didn't have my rulebook on me before.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
03-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Correct. Backstrike bonus do not apply on Free Strike. It was stated on Free Strike defination. Actually, Backstrike bonus is apply on ACTIVATION so it cannot benefit that even if it does not prohibited.