PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Melee Attacks

MikeC87
03-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Here's a fancy situation. Never gave it much thought before until someone asked me about it last week.

If a model is on a bridge, with it's base 2" above the battlefield, can a model with reach attack it from the ground?

I looked in the prime and all I found about this is a section titled "Melee attacks and elevation" or something like that. All it said was if the vertical distance between two models is less than 1", ignore the height difference. But it says nothing about what happens if it's more than an 1". Anyone know the ruling on this?

SageofLodoss
03-23-2013, 12:19 PM
I tempted to say that measuring 2 inches from your volume to the target's volume to determine elevation reach is the best way to go.

But the rules say so little on battlegrounds with lots of height variance...it's mostly 2D-friendly with hills, so I can't be sure of that.

vintersbastard
03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Distance is measured base to base - in three dimensions (the specific stipulation about 1" elevation difference allows non-Reach models to still make melee attacks, even though the distance is more than .5").

To address the OP's example. if it's exactly 2" and the attacking model is beneath the attacked, then yes - if it's even 1 mm more, then no.

solkan
03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
A better solution would probably be to specifically discuss rules for the bridge with the other people playing, and come to a specific agreement whether the bridge prevents melee attacks or not.

Because presumably you're not going to want to change the bridge model, and you'd rather not get out the ruler to check each time. :)