PDA

View Full Version : CRA vs "Cannot be targetted by CRA"

juckto
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
A friend and I were discussing one of the Legion casters (Rhyas) who has the rule "Cannot be targetted by Combined Ranged Attacks."

So, what do you do if you accidentally do declare a CRA vs her?

Looking at the timing sequence:
1. Determine what the attacker can target. Yes, she is a valid target.
2. Resolve effects that occur before attacking. Nothing to resolve (side note - I can't think of a single ability that occurs at this step)
3. Declare the attack and its target. I declared a CRA and an invalid target for that kind of attack.

Do I now have to stick with what I declared for the attack (CRA) and pick a new target?
Do I now have to stick with what I declared for the target (Rhyas) and pick a new type of attack?
Do I rewind to step 2?

Crate123
03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
I dont think youre locked into using a CRA or even locked into shooting at Rhyas (its not Lylyth).
So in your case you would say "I target Rhyas with this CRA", the opponent says "you cant" and then you can say "oh ok", and split your shots like you normally would, making a 2guy CRA, a 4 guy CRA and 4 single person regular attacks.

IAvian
03-23-2013, 02:24 PM
If you accidentally declare a CRA against someone who can't be targetted, it's an illegal move, so you just redeclare your attacks. (As normal shots, or CRAs against a new target, or whatever)

solkan
03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Looking at the wording on page 52 of Prime Mk II, and the example, "these models declare a combined ranged attack against that target" appears to be a single atomic operation. So, agreed with the Crate123 and IAvian--Take back the single declaration and do something else, either a (possibly different) grouping against a different target, or a non-CRA (optionally against a different target).

Roddles_B
03-23-2013, 05:03 PM
I am the opponent Juckto is enquiring about. It is something we discussed after our game yesterday. The ability is Rhyas' Perfect Balance

The discussion was about "WHEN" you declare the attack. I feel, though I could be wrong, that if you declare a CRA or CMA against her, the combined attack would still be valid, but your target is not, so you would have to declare a valid target for the attack.