PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried Bodgermania?

Canucklhead
04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
I was hoping to get some opionions on the game before ordering it. I thoroughly enjoyed Scrappers, and at under 25$ the price is right.

Mod_Neldar
04-09-2013, 05:27 AM
I played a lot of it at PAX East. It's very silly, easy to adjust the game length, and combines one of my least favorite mechanics (drafting) with one of my favorites (trick taking).

Quite a few people were playing it in the many lines of PAX.

I plan to pick it up soon.

Wulfen
04-10-2013, 10:07 PM
I looked at this at the LGS tonight, curious about the wrestling mechanic. When I saw it was a simple trick-taking mechanic, I put it down and walked away. I'm not sure what I should have expected, but I hoped for more. It looked like Euchre with pictures of wrestling bodgers.

Canucklhead
04-14-2013, 03:15 AM
Thanks, guys. I have the original Bodgers game, which is similar and tons of light hearted fun. But I think I might pass on this one and pick up grind instead.

Kevin B
04-17-2013, 01:07 AM
What do people mean by "trick-taking mechanic"?

Ive ordered it and thinking it could be a fun 10-15min S+G kinda game

rydiafan
04-18-2013, 11:44 AM
What do people mean by "trick-taking mechanic"?

Hearts, Bridge, Euchre, Spades, etc. Any game where all players play a card and whoever played the highest one (factoring trump) wins.

lars4life
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
I honestly enjoyed it. The trick taking is modified by the prize cards for the end game matches. This helps make it more than your standard trick taking in the end. All in all I thought the game was quick and fun. The drafting stage makes for some interesting strategies since you have trade your hand after ever round of the draft. So there is a drafting and trick taking mechanic, but they both have twists. Since it's not too expensive, I felt it was worth picking up.

Nathan213
05-26-2013, 08:16 PM
yeah its a fun game.....except when u keep getting beat by your young kids....
ha....ha

Bithlord
08-19-2013, 07:54 AM
It was ok, I demoed it at GenCon and either the demoer was wrong or it needs more rules. The demoer told us that there is no order for the voting, and it is done face up. Which ends in everyone just kind of standing there not playing because voting last is super powerful and voting first is the opposite.

Also, if it had been $15 it would have been a snap buy. $18 and I would have considered it, and probably gotten it along with my high command. $20 would have been a hard sell. $22 was a no sell.

It just doesn't have the gameplay to justify more than $20 (in my opinion of course).

DC
08-21-2013, 04:39 PM
It was ok, I demoed it at GenCon and either the demoer was wrong or it needs more rules. The demoer told us that there is no order for the voting, and it is done face up. Which ends in everyone just kind of standing there not playing because voting last is super powerful and voting first is the opposite.

Also, if it had been $15 it would have been a snap buy. $18 and I would have considered it, and probably gotten it along with my high command. $20 would have been a hard sell. $22 was a no sell.

It just doesn't have the gameplay to justify more than $20 (in my opinion of course).
There are rules for turn order when it comes to voting. It's based on the player who currently has the "Ref's Favor" card.

The demo-er might not have been using Ref's Favor and/or might have been trying to speed up the voting process.

Bithlord
08-22-2013, 01:04 PM
There are rules for turn order when it comes to voting. It's based on the player who currently has the "Ref's Favor" card.

The demo-er might not have been using Ref's Favor and/or might have been trying to speed up the voting process.

That... makes about a million times more sense. My friends and I were convinced that it was either blind voting, or some rule for determining order of voting. But when we asked the demoer he said "its more of a beer and pretzles type game, so don't worry about that". (Note: this was the official demo in the PP booth at the dealer hall).

that makes much more sense (nod)