PDA

View Full Version : Animus stacking

Mattho2k3
03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Will casting an animus on a model that has already been affected by an animus completely remove the effects of the original animus? For example if I have the animus primal on an Argus, charge and combo strike another model and destroy it, then use the argus' animus on himself, will this overide the original animus completely. Simply put will the Argus still frenzy on it's next activation even though I replaced primal with another animus?

dicegod
03-23-2010, 10:24 PM
The animus will be replaced, but a condition has already been put on the Argus that he will frenzy next round.

You can't avoid it ;)

ladre48
03-28-2010, 06:09 AM
I was having this exact discussion yesterday. As the (current) wording on animi reads, I do not see how you would still Frenzy. The automatic Frenzy is still part of the animus - if you place another animus on a warbeast the rule says the old one immediately expires, and is replaced by the new animus.

So how can you overwrite the +STR/MAT bonus but not the Frenzy portion? You no longer have the benefit of the animus.

As an example, if placed on a Gnarlhorn who countercharges later in the round, he would get the bonus. But if placed on a Gnarlhorn who then has another animus placed on him later in that turn, if he countercharges later in the round he gets no STR/MAT bonus from Primal.

I checked the timing chart to see if perhaps there was an answer there but my own reading is that the condition you are checking for next Round no longer applies since you replaced it.

Am I missing something in the rules that will clarify this once and for all?

Runesong
03-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Oh, how I wish it worked that way. Look at how the wording on Primal is divided:

Target friendly living warbeast gains +2 STR and MAT for one round and automatically frenzies during your next Control Phase.

The effect that has a duration is the +2 STR and MAT. That is a one-round duration effect that can expire. The auto-frenzy is listed after, and separate from, the one-round duration on the +2 STR and MAT. There is no ticking clock to stop, it just happens. The frenzy itself will occur later in the game, but the part of the animus that makes it happen is instantaneous at time of cast, done deal, no backsies.

I'd love for an Infernal to come in and prove me wrong on this, but them's the breaks with Primal.

Tshewberrt
03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Also, unless I am mistaken, the animus would already have expired by the Control phase that the frenzying would take place during regardless of whether or not another animus was cast upon it. This would suggest that forcing the animus to expire would not remove the frenzy effect, as it would be overly silly to place an effect on the animus that could not actually occur.