PDA

View Full Version : Gaze of Menoth

BigFisch
07-12-2013, 05:00 AM
I apologize in advance if this has already been talked about, my searches have not yielded many results.

When the Avatar casts Gaze of Menoth, do affected models have to remain facing the avatar? Also can they move outside of his line of sight?

Warm Regards,
BF

Netherby
07-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Well they need to move towards the Avatar, changing facing doesn't violate that, so as long as they spent their whole movement getting closer, they should be able to face any direction they like. Remember their LOS has no effect on Gaze triggering as its the Avatars LOS that causes it.

They could also theoretically move out of the Avatars LOS and still satisfy the requirements of getting closer, they could in fact walk in an ever tightening circle around the Avatar :p

jandrese
07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
The underlying assumption is not correct though. Even if a model leaves the Avatar's LOS, it will still be affected by Gaze. Gaze triggers at the start of a model's activation, and remains on the model for the duration of the activation. The only way to stop it during a model's activation is to destroy the Avatar.

somersa91
07-12-2013, 11:04 AM
However, if you use other models activations to block Avatar's LOS to an affected model, then that model can move freely so long as Avatar doesn't have LOS at the start of its activation.

Example, Avatar gazes and can see small base warrior A. If Small base Warrior A Activates it will be affected by gaze for its entire activation (unless avatar dies). If a number of model's, C, use their activations to get between Avatar and model A and block LOS to model A, then model A will be able to move freely when it activates.

Grey Templar
07-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Yes, if you block the Avatar's LoS before the models in question activate they will not be effected by Gaze.

Noddin_Dog
07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
TGaze triggers at the start of a model's activation, and remains on the model for the duration of the activation

This is untrue, Gaze specifies "For one round, enemy models that begin their activation within 8" of this model and in its LOS can advance only towards this model"

So, if you are affected by Gaze, then activate you can only advance only towards the Avatar. If you then gain any further out of activation movement you are still subject to the effects of Gaze since it does not specify that its only in your activation. I asked the same question about a Warpwolf Stalker hat has Sprint after its activation

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?155898-Avatar-and-Gaze&highlight=Gaze+of+Menoth

BigFisch
07-17-2013, 06:38 AM
I very much appreciate the clarification.