PDA

View Full Version : Falling damage, A clarification

_PG_Avanice
07-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Hey gang I am aware of the fact that falling damage exists, and that if someone "falls" they count as taking a pow 10. But I am confused when "falling applies" and when it doesn't.

for example, I have a incline of a hill which is an obstacle that rises 2.25 inches above the ground. We treat it with the rules that 2 inches to start climbing up it and then flat/normal move after like someone would a hill without pathfinder (correct me if i am wrong). But At the crest of this inclining hill I couldn't help but think how odd it was that I could hop off the 2.25 inch hill with no damage, that was at aleast the ruling we came to when we played. It didn't feel 100% right, but it did fluffy sound right to have a jack lunge off a 10ish foot hill and slamming down on the ground to continue moving.

Would someone be kind enough to clarify these rules?

vintersbastard
07-25-2013, 08:09 AM
From what I'm gathering, your problem seems to stem from the fact that you're using defined terms, hills (i.e. terrain features with a gentle slope) and obstacles (i.e. terrain features that are less than 1" high), for terrain that apparently doesn't fit those terms.

That leaves you with two options: First, you can treat the terrain as a hill or obstacle, then moving down will work exactly as it is defined in the rulebook (i.e. no penalties whatsoever, especially no falling). Or you can decide to make up your own rules how to climb terrain features that are 1" or higher (which would usually be obstructions), and then agree that moving downwards causes falling (perhaps only if you're not advancing) - but that second option is something you have to make up with your opponent.

_PG_Avanice
07-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Hmmm yes my apologizes I don't have the book in front of me now. But it is a blue foam "stepping hill" I am pretty sure that should make it make sense in most peoples minds. These hills have sheer cliffs at the end of them however So think of it something similar to this if you were viewing it from the side... (hoping this formats right.)

.........##
.....####
######

As you can see at the end of the incline is basically a "cliff" like end which has no slope just a drop, it's not 3 inches just about 2.25 just enough to conceal most things. If I walked off these style of cliffs towards the enemy how would that interact with the rules? Would I take falling damage? would I just continue to advance normally?

Also we were under the assumption "hills" counted as obstructions. you are saying they do not? (I am sorry i really wish i had the rulebook right now)

x3tsniper
07-25-2013, 08:48 AM
pg. 87 of Prime, covers Obstructions.

They cannot be climbed or moved across.

The Hill, covered on pg. 88 covers inclines and steep drops which is what you want.

EDIT:
Fall damage is covered on pg. 63.
"A model that is slammed, thrown, pushed, or that otherwise moves off of an elevated surface to another surface at least 1 full inch lower falls."

Basically you could declare that the way up is less than 1 full inch, so you can go up and down with no penalty to the one side, and declare a set height for the other so you know what kind of damage you will take.

vintersbastard
07-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Hmmm yes my apologizes I don't have the book in front of me now. But it is a blue foam "stepping hill" I am pretty sure that should make it make sense in most peoples minds. These hills have sheer cliffs at the end of them however So think of it something similar to this if you were viewing it from the side... (hoping this formats right.)

.........##
.....####
######

As you can see at the end of the incline is basically a "cliff" like end which has no slope just a drop, it's not 3 inches just about 2.25 just enough to conceal most things. If I walked off these style of cliffs towards the enemy how would that interact with the rules? Would I take falling damage? would I just continue to advance normally?That illuminates it wonderfully. Just count the stepped side of the terrain piece as a set of obstacles, and the cliff face as an obstruction (which cannot be climbed or moved through without special abilities- but it can be moved down, then causing falling damage).

Also we were under the assumption "hills" counted as obstructions. you are saying they do not? (I am sorry i really wish i had the rulebook right now)Nope, hills do not do anything besides providing elevation (if they're high enough) - they're not even rough terrain. As mentioned, hills are supposed to have gentle slopes, not steep ones.

solkan
07-25-2013, 09:29 AM
One of the important notes for the hill rules is that a lot of the time people build those blue foam "stepping hills" as a matter of practicality but want to treat the hill as if it were gently sloping.

Because sloped hills can lead to the nightmare of continually adjusting and readjusting model positions as the models you place on the hill slide off the hill, fall over, and generally make everyone regret making a hill with sloping sides. :Terror:

_PG_Avanice
07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Nope, hills do not do anything besides providing elevation (if they're high enough) - they're not even rough terrain. As mentioned, hills are supposed to have gentle slopes, not steep ones.

Oh wow so hills don't grant cover then? Or am I confused?

x3tsniper
07-25-2013, 10:24 AM
If it is tall enough to conceal part of the model the argument can be made. I have never seen someone try to get cover from a 1" hill at a tournament though. I have however seen it granted when standing a couple steps down on a multiple level hill.

Most of this is the kind of thing that is up to the players to discuss and determine pre game.

vintersbastard
07-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Oh wow so hills don't grant cover then? Or am I confused?
In general, no, as per p. 88 of Prime. Really, Elevation is the only thing they provide. That's pretty much the main distinction from obstacles.

_PG_Avanice
07-25-2013, 11:21 AM
thanks so much for the clairifications. The main rules lawyer and I are going to spend the night reviewing info on this section.