PDA

View Full Version : Failed Charge vs. failed Trample

jamshaman
08-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I often see players declare charges in order to get the +3 SPD knowing that the charge will fail, but it seems to me that declaring a Trample is superior for gaining +3 SPD. Maybe I missed something, but why wouldn't you always declare a Trample instead of a failed charge for +3 SPD?

The Trample doesn't end your activation after movement, it doesn't require a target, and you can still make extra attacks after movement if you wanted to. The only downside that I can see is that you aren't allowed to change facing during a trample, but the same is true for charges right?

edit: the title of this thread should have been "Failed Charge vs. Trampling nothing"

Canadianized
08-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Not a rules question, expect a lock without an answer.

Leonard_Dukes
08-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Quick answer before this gets locked for non-rules related question:

(Most) solos, units, warcasters/warlocks, and light/lesser warbeasts do not have the Trample option. You could use Trample for heavy warbeasts/warjacks only, but I assume that it's easier and more intuitive for people to simply declare a charge.

jdeckert
08-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Yeah, should probably get moved...

That said, one other issue is that there are a fair number of effects that allow free charges but not free tramples. Outside of that, I often trample with Megalith or woldwardens for exactly the reasons you state. They can geomancy after they trample, so it's a lot better than a failed charge. You'll often see Behemoth trample and shoot, too.

Lanz
08-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Tramples are also power attacks, while charges aren't. Many rules also grant free charges, but far fewer rules grant free tramples.

jamshaman
08-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Sorry for the miss-categorization, and thanks for the answers! I get it now..