PDA

View Full Version : Force Bolt question

Maklor
08-04-2013, 08:16 PM
A quick question about force bolt that came up the other night. While using the House Shyeel Battle Mages force bolt magic ability. Force bolt is a range 10, pow 10 magic attack. An enemy model hit by this attack may be pushed d3 inches directly toward or away from this model. On a critical hit, the enemy model is also knocked down after being pushed. My question is if I choose not to push the model hit during a critical hit is it still knocked down? Basically is the knock down only triggered by the push? Thanks for the clarity.

Grey Templar
08-04-2013, 08:20 PM
If it is only knocked down after the push I think it may not trigger if you choose not to push it but I'm not 100% on that. They would seem to be inseparable effects.

Aron Figaro
08-04-2013, 09:00 PM
It specifically says "after being pushed" and I can't find an errata for it, so yes, if you decide not to push the enemy, there's no chance of a knockdown. Now the interesting part is, because this effect triggers on hit, you can choose after you see if the dice come up critical or not.

SageofLodoss
08-04-2013, 09:01 PM
I believe If the Knockdown were actually dependent on the push taking place, the word "if" would be used to denote that the model is only knocked down "if" the model was pushed. In this particular case, the description "after being pushed" is merely a timing/sequence clarification--that if you did choose the push the model, you would do that first, then knock them down after resolving the push. This could be relevant in some situations, such as shooting a warjack in shallow water and scoring a critical. If you pushed them out of the water, they wouldn't have their furnace extinguished because they didn't get knocked down until after the push.

If you choose not to push on a critical, you are in effect simply moving, or bypassing (however you want to think of it) to after the push, where you would resolve the critical knockdown.

FearLord
08-04-2013, 09:35 PM
I believe If the Knockdown were actually dependent on the push taking place, the word "if" would be used to denote that the model is only knocked down "if" the model was pushed. In this particular case, the description "after being pushed" is merely a timing/sequence clarification--that if you did choose the push the model, you would do that first, then knock them down after resolving the push. This could be relevant in some situations, such as shooting a warjack in shallow water and scoring a critical. If you pushed them out of the water, they wouldn't have their furnace extinguished because they didn't get knocked down until after the push.

If you choose not to push on a critical, you are in effect simply moving, or bypassing (however you want to think of it) to after the push, where you would resolve the critical knockdown.

Correct answer.

solkan
08-04-2013, 09:48 PM
There's a previous non-conclusive thread
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?147192-Force-Bolt-crit-knock-down-optional&p=1914477&viewfull=1#post1914477
which notes that "after" has been used to indicate conditional effects before. Specifically Beat Back.

The proposition being that the attempt to push would be required, but that "cannot be pushed" for some reason (such as being destroyed already) would not prevent "after pushing" effects from being used.

The Beat Back thread with ruling: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?114600-quot-Beat-Back-quot-and-choosing-not-to-push&p=1619496&viewfull=1#post1619496

Netherby
08-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I would have assumed it was simply about the timing and that the model is knocked down regardless of it being pushed or not.