PDA

View Full Version : charging and acrobatics

goesgoch
08-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Came up in a game yesterday whilst using my daughters of the flame. Now, I always assumed a model with acrobatics could charge a model, jump over it and attack it, thus being able to surround a model with daughters. Now, from what the to explained and my oppenent I can't do it, for reasons which I completely understand. I think it,'S probably a hangup from previous versions. It did get me wondering if there would be situations where they could do it i.e if the charge targets front ar is completely surrounded or am I just clutching for straws?

Dagowit
08-05-2013, 12:30 AM
The problem is the rule in the Errata document which states that the charge target cannot leave the melee range of the charging model once the target enters said melee range. The best way to mitigate this would be to give the Daughters 360 degree vision (thus allowing them to go through their target while keeping it in their melee range). As far as I know, they cannot get that effect (or something similar).

Stormpuppy_Infantry
08-05-2013, 01:34 AM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?83548-Acrobatic-Charge&p=1125737&viewfull=1#post1125737

Right. If a model is charging and the target is inside of its melee range, the charging model must have target in its melee range rest of movement. If your daughter without 360 degree sight, charge and pass over charge target, target is not in her melee range so you even can't to try that.

Netherby
08-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Your charge movement has to end with the target in your front arc. You cannot turn while charging, so if you go over the model you will end your movement with it outside your front arc.

You CAN do this, it just means the charge will be a failure. (My reading of the rule was that you 'cannot leave the melee range of the target once entered, or the charge is a failure.', not that you cannot leave the melee range AT ALL if you want to do so?)

Crate123
08-05-2013, 04:24 PM
You CAN do this, it just means the charge will be a failure. (My reading of the rule was that you 'cannot leave the melee range of the target once entered, or the charge is a failure.', not that you cannot leave the melee range AT ALL if you want to do so?)

No, you are actually not allowed to leave the melee range once you're in it.

Valander
08-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Your charge movement has to end with the target in your front arc. You cannot turn while charging, so if you go over the model you will end your movement with it outside your front arc.

No, you are actually not allowed to leave the melee range once you're in it.
As Crate123 said, you cannot do that. Check the Errata document.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
08-05-2013, 05:43 PM
PP. 46–47. Charge.
Replace the sixth and seventh sentences of the second paragraph with the following:

Once the charge target is in the charging model’s melee range, it must stay in the charging model’s melee range for the entire charge. The charging model stops if it contacts a model, an obstacle, or an obstruction or if it is pushed, slammed, or thrown.

I know that once a time it is possible but resulted failed charge, but it is modified that we can't even try to do. Anyway, for now we can't even try to do as Dagowit, Crate123 and Valander said.

goesgoch
08-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Ah well, makes me sad, boo hoo. Thanks all.

LordRavurion
08-06-2013, 01:30 AM
if you do not care about the attack then just run... That way Melee-range, LOS and facing have no interference in the movement...

pattison
08-06-2013, 03:50 AM
Just a little tip:
You can use your rightmost DotF to charge the leftmost target, and vice versa so you'll be charging in an X shape (ie. from left to right and from right to left).
That way you can still jump over that line of models and keep them in your front arc due to coming in from an angle.
Of course your middle girls won't be able to do this, and it shortens the threat range of your unit (as you move sideways not just forward), but sometimes it may just worth it.

Valander
08-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Tactics discussion belongs in the faction forums.