PDA

View Full Version : Witch Coven Battlegroup

Lazlo
04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
The Witch Coven are "Cryx Warcasters" and the Arcane Nexus and Coven rules tend to indicate that they are treated as a single warcaster, but only cover issues such as upkeeps, focus pool, and power fields.

No where on their cards does it indicate that they have a common Battlegroup, or that the three witches are members of the same battlegroup.

So, are they supposed to be in the same battlegroup and share all of the 'jacks assigned to that battlegroup? Or do they have to have separate battlegroups?

We've always played it as the first option, but RAW looks to me like it would be the second, which has all sorts of implications about who can use an arc node and when 'jacks go inert.

dhow tocor
04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Well the Coven as a group gets a Warjack Bonus of +5. I believe that shows they have one Battlegroup, since each Witch does not have an individual Warjack Bonus.

Also, as you know, you could not have, for example, Three Skarlocks, one attached to each Witch, as per the rules. One Skarlock for the whole Coven.

The witches activate independently and are independent models. For all other purposes they are considered the Coven.

Therefore, the Coven has a Battelgroup, not each witch.

Lazlo
04-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Well the Coven as a group gets a Warjack Bonus of +5. I believe that shows they have one Battlegroup, since each Witch does not have an individual Warjack Bonus.

This is the most compelling evidence, but it is not explicit and requires inference and assumption. If they have separate battlegroups you could use those points among any of the witches' battlegroup and still follow the rules.

Also, as you know, you could not have, for example, Three Skarlocks, one attached to each Witch, as per the rules. One Skarlock for the whole Coven.

The skarlock issue is addressed specifically by the Arcane Nexus rule, and not by virtue of the coven as a group being considered a single warcaster with a single battlegroup.

The witches activate independently and are independent models. For all other purposes they are considered the Coven.

Therefore, the Coven has a Battelgroup, not each witch.

No where does it say that they are part of a single battlegroup. No where does it say that "for all other purposes they are considered the Coven." It can be infered, but nothing that I can see in their rules overrides the general warcaster rules for a battlegroup, which is that each warcaster has their own battlegroup. Their rules enumerate under which conditions they are considered "The Coven," which includes attachments, upkeeps, focus pool, power field boosting, and feats. No mention of battlegroup.

dhow tocor
04-02-2010, 02:10 PM
By your logic the Coven can only be played at the War encounter level or above.

jonconcarne
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Coven - The Witch Coven of Garlghast shares a single focus pool, and Witches do not receive focus individually. The Covenʼs base FOCUS is three times the number of Witches in play. When the Coven replenishes its focus, the Egregore receives those focus points. The Covenʼs control area is measured from the Egregore. Any Witch in the Covenʼs control area can spend focus points on the Egregore. The Egregore cannot be affected by focus- reducing or focus-removing effects. Each focus point on the Egregore gives each Witch in the Covenʼs control area a cumulative +1 ARM. Effects that ignore focus points overboosting the targetʼs Power Field also ignore this bonus. The Coven can use their feat only once.

Don't read into it more than you should. Each witch is a part of the single warcaster group known as "The Witch Coven of Garlghast". If we go by how you're interpreting things, when a witch casts a spell, it does nothing since individual witches have no control area, only this "vague" Coven entity. Nobody is going to try and argue RAW that the witches have separate battlegroups or that they do not have control areas even though it doesn't explicitly state the control area of each witch. Reason being, the witches make up "The Witch Coven of Garlghast".

Pistol Wraith Pistolero
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM
I concur with the person above me. It's pretty straight forward. They all count as a single caster except for the purposes of activation and whatnot.

DocT
04-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Actually, I have a feeling activate separately?

dhow tocor
04-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Actually, I have a feeling activate separately?

Yes, they are independent models and therefore activate separately.

Lazlo
04-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Coven - The Witch Coven of Garlghast shares a single focus pool, and Witches do not receive focus individually. The Covenʼs base FOCUS is three times the number of Witches in play. When the Coven replenishes its focus, the Egregore receives those focus points. The Covenʼs control area is measured from the Egregore. Any Witch in the Covenʼs control area can spend focus points on the Egregore. The Egregore cannot be affected by focus- reducing or focus-removing effects. Each focus point on the Egregore gives each Witch in the Covenʼs control area a cumulative +1 ARM. Effects that ignore focus points overboosting the targetʼs Power Field also ignore this bonus. The Coven can use their feat only once.

Don't read into it more than you should. Each witch is a part of the single warcaster group known as "The Witch Coven of Garlghast". If we go by how you're interpreting things, when a witch casts a spell, it does nothing since individual witches have no control area, only this "vague" Coven entity. Nobody is going to try and argue RAW that the witches have separate battlegroups or that they do not have control areas even though it doesn't explicitly state the control area of each witch. Reason being, the witches make up "The Witch Coven of Garlghast".

I think that's about as compelling answer as I'm going to get.

And just to clarify, I wasn't interpreting their rules to mean that they had separate battelgroups (I tihnk that's a silly interpretation), but was asked this question by another player and I didn't see any RAW way of disputing his assertion. So I asked here, playing devil's advocate.

gcflash
04-03-2010, 11:28 AM
One thing to note as well is on Egregore's card
This model is part of the Witch Coven of Garlghast's battle group.
So that should cover it as a RAW.