PDA

View Full Version : Place effects measurements

ColonelCurry
09-04-2013, 11:28 PM
When resolving place effects like telekinesis or eDenny's dark banishment can you measure the radius of the effect before deciding the placement location?

For example: edenny dark banishes a model. She has 5 focus, and rolls a 5. She can place the model anywhere completely within 10 inches of its current location. Can I measure the 10 inches, decide if the base will fit, see if the model will leave a zone, etc, then pick my favorite? Our must I declare my intended location, then measure to see if the location is completely within 10 inches, and if not, place the model in the nearest legal location?

How much of a place effect can be pre-measured?

Stormpuppy_Infantry
09-05-2013, 12:07 AM
At least you can't premeasure. You try to place something to a location you needed, and if the location didn't suit the requirement then you must roll back and choose another location to place.

SmellyTerror
09-05-2013, 12:20 AM
....so strictly speaking you CAN find a maximum range, because you could just put it out too far and progressively bring it back. But other than making sure it's inside that maximum, you really should place by dead reckoning.

Apart from checking your control range, of course.

ColonelCurry
09-05-2013, 08:59 AM
What if the location is legal but didn't accomplish what was desired. For example, my first choice would be placing the model out of the zone, but after measuring the max distance, his base is still clipping the edge. Can I then reverse the placement and place the model closer to the center of the zone in order to be within threat ranges of my army? As long as i know the original location of the model, am I obliged to stay with the first legal place the model touches, or can I fiddle?

solkan
09-05-2013, 09:07 AM
So how many times were you planning on putting the model down, measuring, moving it, measuring again, moving again, measuring again, etc?

Falkman
09-05-2013, 09:12 AM
What if the location is legal but didn't accomplish what was desired. For example, my first choice would be placing the model out of the zone, but after measuring the max distance, his base is still clipping the edge. Can I then reverse the placement and place the model closer to the center of the zone in order to be within threat ranges of my army?
No you can't, that would be a form of pre-measuring.

Crate123
09-05-2013, 09:13 AM
What I do is say something like "I want to place the model outside that zone, base to base with the model over there" then measure to see if that is possible. If it is, then the model is placed. If it isnt then I pick somewhere else, ofcourse now I know something about the ranges.

ColonelCurry
09-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I feel like people will often adjust their placement by a millimeter or two in order to block line of sight completely, or engage two models optimally. As long as the final location is legal, it's ok with me.

If you have to declare your location before measuring, a player could easily back themselves into the same effect by stating where they want to place the model, measure and realize that they dont have enough distance, then choose a legal location that is nowhere near the first declared location. Right?

TL;DR I dunno, like 6 times?

subversive
09-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Somewhat simultaneous post: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?175392-Place-Effects-and-Re-winding

solkan
09-05-2013, 09:51 AM
If you have to declare your location before measuring, a player could easily back themselves into the same effect by stating where they want to place the model, measure and realize that they dont have enough distance, then choose a legal location that is nowhere near the first declared location. Right?

So what's wrong with the nice, straight forward method?
1. Place the model on the board where you think you want to put it. Adjust or nudge it around, as necessary. Take your time, if you need to.
2. Then measure to see if that position is valid.

You should understand that this is basically a sportsmanship question, and those eventually break down into "If necessary, seek local adult supervision."

Valander
09-05-2013, 10:00 AM
How much of a place effect can be pre-measured?
The simple answer to this is, "none."

That said, most common practice is to plop the model down, measure, and adjust minimally in order to make sure it's a legal spot if it was not.

Valander
09-05-2013, 10:01 AM
So what's wrong with the nice, straight forward method?
1. Place the model on the board where you think you want to put it. Adjust or nudge it around, as necessary. Take your time, if you need to.
2. Then measure to see if that position is valid.

You should understand that this is basically a sportsmanship question, and those eventually break down into "If necessary, seek local adult supervision."
This is correct, especially on the last point. ;)