PDA

View Full Version : Creeping Barrage, enter or end

Octavius_Maximus
09-29-2013, 08:22 PM
If a model charges into a creeping barrage, and then ends its activation in the zone there, does it take 2 Pow 6's? or just 1 when it enters.

wargolem
09-29-2013, 08:44 PM
just 1 per previous rulings, and to make matters worse if the model runs through 4 creeping barrage templates in one activation it only takes one horrible pow 6 which generally won't kill squat.

Octavius_Maximus
09-29-2013, 08:58 PM
just 1 per previous rulings, and to make matters worse if the model runs through 4 creeping barrage templates in one activation it only takes one horrible pow 6 which generally won't kill squat.

hmmm whats the basis of the ruling, though? The 'Or' is not clear. If it read "and" then they would have to enter AND end, to take the damage. The 'Or' to me isn't an 'either/or' or.

MadJack
09-29-2013, 09:47 PM
hmmm whats the basis of the ruling, though? The 'Or' is not clear. If it read "and" then they would have to enter AND end, to take the damage. The 'Or' to me isn't an 'either/or' or.

Like most rules, it's an if-then construct. If X condition is met, then Y occurs. In this case the condition is "entering or ending its activation in one or more of the AOEs". If a model enters the AOE, it has fulfilled the condition. If a model ends its activation in the AOE, it has fulfilled the condition. If a model does both, it has fulfilled the condition. It's binary: either the condition is fulfilled, or it isn't, and there aren't any other possibilities. Once the model has fulfilled the condition, then that's when you move on to apply the effect: a POW 6 blast damage roll.

SunTsu
09-30-2013, 01:04 AM

I don't remember exactly the words about creeping barrage, but usually if a model enters inside more than one "entering or ending it's activation" aoe, these should be different effects and stacks together. So if model suffers 1 point of damage, passing through 3 aoe make suffers it 3 damages not only 1.

Am I wrong?

Michael
09-30-2013, 03:00 AM
I don't remember exactly the words about creeping barrage, but usually if a model enters inside more than one "entering or ending it's activation" aoe, these should be different effects and stacks together. So if model suffers 1 point of damage, passing through 3 aoe make suffers it 3 damages not only 1.

Am I wrong?

You are wrong. A model entering or ending its activation in one or more Creeping Barrage AOEs takes exactly one (1) POW 6 damage roll. The phrase "entering or ending its activation" in this game means "This statement is true as soon as either A or B is true". The rule would read differently if Privateer wanted it to work differently; completely made up example follows:

"A model entering the Creeping Barrage template suffers a POW 6 blast damage roll. A model ending its activation in the Creeping Barrage template suffers a POW 6 blast damage roll."

That phrasing would allow for two damage rolls. The current phrasing does not.

Here are a number of further posts to read on this very topic:

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?114966-Creeping-Barrage-Stacking-and-Multiple-Conquests
https://privateerpressforums.com/search.php?searchid=3038234

Archdeluxe
09-30-2013, 03:36 AM
Another applicable ruling (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?153058-Immunity-to-creeping-barrage-when-does-it-end&highlight=barrage+immunity).

As is illustrated in the linked thread, once a model takes a Creeping Barrage damage roll, he has de facto immunity to Creeping Barrage for 1 turn as per Valander. If the model survives the CB damage roll there is no possible way he will suffer CB damage again until the following turn.

Octavius_Maximus
09-30-2013, 06:22 AM
It just seems to me that creeping barrage has 2 triggering times, when the model enters, or when it finishes.it seems that there is no mention of a model being immune to one trigger if they cause the other one. All it seems is that there is trigger 1: model enters, and trigger 2: model ends. Why can't a model do both since both triggers are met, but not at the same time?

Archdeluxe
09-30-2013, 06:41 AM
'cause the infernals say so?

Crate123
09-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Its just how that wording works and it has been ruled upon several times because the wording is exactly the same for covering fire.
Just 1 damage roll.