PDA

View Full Version : Assault - Missing results in randomizing the shot? (Can you shoot your own unit?)

Derangedgamer123
09-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Assault - Missing results in randomizing the shot? (Can you shoot your own unit?)

As the title asks is it possible to assault a target and miss then due to that miss you must randomize your shot - Thus resulting into a possible shot on another member of your unit or even yourself (I doubt the self) but this has a risk due to having you take out your other members of your unit before they even make assault and charge attacks.......

Mod_Neldar
09-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Yes. You randomize between every other model in the melee ignoring the original target and the attacker.

ErrantMind
09-30-2013, 08:57 AM
When a model is either engaged or engaging, it is in melee.

the only models considered to be in the same combat are those in melee with the attack's original target and any models in melee with them. Any model meeting these criteria can become the new target.

the book seems a bit hard to follow, but my take is any friendly models that are engaged or engaging the original target, and any enemy models that are engaging those friendly models. so it would seem a missed assault shot can hit nearby friendlys.

I'm not doubting Neldar, but i don't see anything prohibiting the attacking model from being hit, the rule states any model...

Derangedgamer123
09-30-2013, 09:08 AM
This has been a weird rules question that I would love to have an absolute on because I have heard from others like 4 different combinations of the effects.... What I really want to know is when I make an assault do I shoot myself or my fellow man who has or hasn't made his assault shot yet on a miss.... (this being randomized of course)

What I find particularly baffling is how many people I see just ignore this rule since I started playing warmachine in 2009. I am guessing its just a small oversight and those around had never really asked that question before :-)

Valander
09-30-2013, 09:29 AM
You cannot target yourself with ranged attacks, at all, so the original attacking model is not eligible for selecting a new target if the Assault shot misses. Any other models, including friendly, that are in the same combat can be a new target, per:

When determining the attack's new target, the only models considered to be in the same combat are those in melee with the attack's original target and any models in melee with them. Any model meeting these criteria can become the new target.

So Neldar's answer above is correct. And yes, you resolve the Assault shots before any model begins its combat action (and makes their charge attacks).

Derangedgamer123
09-30-2013, 09:48 AM
So its assault shots before charges for everyone correct!

Valander
09-30-2013, 09:55 AM
So its assault shots before charges for everyone correct!
If you mean assault shots before making the charge attack, yes. Sequence is:

1. Declare charge.
2. Move to charge target.
3. After finishing all charge movements, make assault shots.
4. After resolving all assault shots, make charge attacks.

kialindo
10-01-2013, 11:05 AM
This is very interesting to me because this now means that if I charge into an infantry line with my Stormblades I could not potentially get 2 attack rolls assuming I missed the original roll and since my Stormblades are immune to electricity I am not really worried about hitting them but that does bring up the question is the second model hit considered a "direct hit" for purposes of triggering the 3" AOE?

Ariya92
10-02-2013, 02:55 PM
I always thought you couldn't hit your own guys on an assault because the idea is that they make the shot on the way in, i.e none of them are engaging/in melee yet.

Does this mean that you also get a -4 rat penalty when doing assaults?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the OP's question, but I think he means to ask if a model in an assaulting unit can shoot another model in that unit which has also just partcipated in the assault.

Valander
10-02-2013, 03:02 PM
I always thought you couldn't hit your own guys on an assault because the idea is that they make the shot on the way in, i.e none of them are engaging/in melee yet.

Nothing in the rule states that, so that is not how it works.

Does this mean that you also get a -4 rat penalty when doing assaults?

No, because the Assault rule states you don't:

When resolving an Assault ranged attack, the attacking model does not suffer the target in melee penalty.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the OP's question, but I think he means to ask if a model in an assaulting unit can shoot another model in that unit which has also just partcipated in the assault.[/QUOTE]
And the answer is "yes, those models are possible targets for randomization if the original target was missed."