PDA

View Full Version : Run/ Charge order, to charge another member of the same unit?

JarikSpiegel
10-04-2013, 11:04 AM
So the situation was:

I need Butcher 3 to get up the field as quickly as possible and still be able to cast spells for an early assassination. Could I have:

> Issued the charge order to the Butcher's unit
> Started by running one of the dogs 12"
> Had the Butcher charge one of those dogs with relentless charge (due to positioning, land up within melee range of the dog)
> Start casting amazing spells
> etc...

My opponent didn't think I could do that since the charge order would occur simultaneously so I wouldn't be able to charge something that wasn't there yet. Ideally I would've wanted to have had something else be in position an activation earlier and charge that, but sadly that was neither here nor there.

Either way, we played on assuming I couldn't and the Butcher still got his assassination run later on, but we were curious if I could've done it sooner.

SageofLodoss
10-04-2013, 11:09 AM
So the situation was:

I need Butcher 3 to get up the field as quickly as possible and still be able to cast spells for an early assassination. Could I have:

> Issued the charge order to the Butcher's unit
> Started by running one of the dogs 12"
> Had the Butcher charge one of those dogs with relentless charge (due to positioning, land up within melee range of the dog)
> Start casting amazing spells
> etc...

My opponent didn't think I could do that since the charge order would occur simultaneously so I wouldn't be able to charge something that wasn't there yet. Ideally I would've wanted to have had something else be in position an activation earlier and charge that, but sadly that was neither here nor there.

Either way, we played on assuming I couldn't and the Butcher still got his assassination run later on, but we were curious if I could've done it sooner.

Orders don't resolve simultaneously for units. Every model moves separately, and later on each model does actions seperately, all pretty much in the order you choose. In this case, you chose to move a dog first, then Butcher. Nothing wrong with charging your own dog at that point.

Crate123
10-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Your opponent is wrong. You dont need LOS when the order is given, you need LOS when you declare the individual charge targets. Otherwise models couldnt move out of the way for each other either.What you wanted to do was legal.

sebbo6
10-05-2013, 01:47 PM
You can activate and move in any order. You could charge the puppy first and fail and then charge it with butcher.

ErrantMind
10-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Declare a charge order, then each model will individually choose a target and move before the next model chooses a target and moves. You can choose any legal target currently in the charging models LoS, even the last moved model. unless you have some sort of pre-attack movement shenanigans, you are then honor-bound to smack your own model if you successfully charged them.

toeing the line on should a new thread be opened, but would this count as a back strike? (do models in a unit check for back strike at the beginning of the unit's activation or each models activation?)

Falkman
10-05-2013, 07:16 PM
toeing the line on should a new thread be opened, but would this count as a back strike? (do models in a unit check for back strike at the beginning of the unit's activation or each models activation?)
You only get the back strike bonus if you've been in your target's back arc your entire activation. Since units activate together model A will not get a back strike against model B unless model B already showed his back arc to model A before the unit activated.