PDA

View Full Version : Exemplar Errants and Strafe

Maerik
04-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Heya all,

So my Seraph has Blight yadda yadda at Strafe d3+1 ranged attacks, I targeted three Exemplar Errants with my attack. I rolled attack, hit, rolled damage, boxed. He then chose to remove one of the secondary models I targeted. Does that mean that I lose one of my Strafe attacks since the model it targeted is no longer there, or do I choose legal targets after fully resolving each of the attacks?

Thanks!

Lanz
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Straife is a simultanious attack, I think, so you resolve all the attacks, but before any models are actually removed, errants can apply self-sacrifice to choose who dies.

If Straife resolves all attacks independantly, then you'd attack one target, do all the rolling, apply self-sacrifice if it dies, then move onto the next target and repeat.

So, no, you don't 'declare' targets, then can't attack them because of self-sacrifice.

Tarrant
04-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Pg. 65 (WM Prime MKII) under Damage Rolls:

"Attacks that generate multiple attack and/or damage rolls do so simultaneously."

So you would resolve all the attacks and damage rolls before he removes any figures.

Necra-Chi
04-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Interesting question.

Edited due to not knowing about a tactical tip :rolleyes:

I just deleted because I couldn't get strikethrough to work.

Tarrant
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
It's a star attack which generates multiple attacks. Seems that Pg. 40 works for it just fine.

Lanz
04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
After digging up my book and looking at straife, are you sure they are not simultanious? It says 'declare a target and d6 secondary targets' as one sentence. That sure sounds like a simultanious attack.

AJ the Ronin
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Interesting question.

Tarrant, Strafe is not simultaneous.

Are you sure?

I'm at work so I don't have the books with me but I seem to recall that either Finn or the Sentinel tactical tips metions that Strafe attacks are simultaneous.

Lanz
04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Confirmed. Sentinel tactical tips in Prime Mk2 says Straife is simultanious.

Necra-Chi
04-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I am going on the seraph's entry in the field test rules, which doesn't have the benefit of tactical tips.

It annoys me that tactical tips exist that are effectively exceptions to the RAW of the rules they refer to, making the tactical tips into rule that should just be included in the wording of the rules.

If it is true that a tactical tip designates strafe as a simultaneous attack (not supported by the wording of strafe itself) then my answer changes and bond of life has no effect because all the attacks are resolved before the bond can trigger.

AJ the Ronin
04-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Again, I don't have the books with me, but I'm sure the text for simultaneous attacks in Prime Mk.2 support the fact that Strafe attacks are simultaneous.

Lanz
04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't think it so much countermands the RAW. Reading the rules for Straife, it doesn't specifically say that its simultanious or not, but the wording definitely seems more closer to simultanious than not. The tactical tip just varifies it, it doesn't actually contradict the core rule.

Unless the rule itself is written differently in the Seraph's test entry. But that's a whole different problem. If it is, I'd assume the one printed in mk2 to be correct.

Necra-Chi
04-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Simultaneous attacks take two forms. If they generate multiple attack rolls (spray)they are simultaneous. If they generate multiple attacks ( like strafe) they are simultaneous if they have the words "completely resolve each attack before applying any special rules from target" etc.
For example if strafe is simultaneous then thresher is simultaneous.

That was my understanding anyway. Sorry for the confusion I caused. I've deleted my erroneous post.

Lanz
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Thresher is simultanious. That's why you can't thresher through models to models you can't see, or, in this same example, use self-sacrifice to dodge thresher attacks.

Necra-Chi
04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Got it. It seems the default is simultaneous and the rules will tell you when it isn't, unlike in Mk1. Thanks.

whats82
04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I've asked before, Strafe is simultaneous. Also applies in the sense that if you declare more shots than the target took to die, the extra shots are wasted.

Maerik
04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks all!