PDA

View Full Version : Free Strikes

AznHitman1209
04-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey guys, i've only just started Warmachine about a week ago, playing Cygnar.

Just need a lil rules check on Free Strikes, It says when an enemy model leaves my melee attack range i get a free shot at him. Using a lancer i have 2 melee ranges, shock shield and the war spear. If the enemy model leaves my melee attack range completely, do i get 2 free strikes or just one?

KujakuDM
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
a model only has one melee range, if it has two weapons you use the largest of the two as it's melee range for free strikes. Also you can only use weapons that would be able to hit said model in it's range. Thus, when a model leave your range, you can only make one attack with the spear, with a +2 and boosted damage that is always considered to come from the back arc.

AznHitman1209
04-06-2010, 06:54 PM
that makes sense, one more thing, what if the enemy model leaves the attack range of the shock shield, but stays within of the war spear? can i choose to make a free strike with the shield?

Laserbees
04-06-2010, 07:07 PM
that makes sense, one more thing, what if the enemy model leaves the attack range of the shock shield, but stays within of the war spear? can i choose to make a free strike with the shield?

Nope. Your melee range is the range of your weapon with the farthest reach; so you would have to leave the 2" to take any freestrike.

Dvortus
04-06-2010, 08:02 PM
a model only has one melee range, if it has two weapons you use the largest of the two as it's melee range for free strikes. Also you can only use weapons that would be able to hit said model in it's range. Thus, when a model leave your range, you can only make one attack with the spear, with a +2 and boosted damage that is always considered to come from the front arc.

Actually the rules for Free Strikes on pg 51 say that the attack always comes from the back arc.

I think you meant that it is never considered a back strike.

Askew37
04-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Actually the rules for Free Strikes on pg 51 say that the attack always comes from the back arc.

I think you meant that it is never considered a back strike.

Free Strikes are always considered to hit the model moving out of range in their back arc since models technically have to move facing to move in a direction (no Moonwalking Democorp). This really only matters in dealing with Buckler/Shield bonuses to armor (:Buckler:/:Shield:) or Shield Wall.

You only get one free strike, and it's when it leaves your melee range, which is determined by the weapon you have the most reach with (barring anything wacky, either .5" or 2"). Free Strikes get +2 to hit and the damage is always boosted.

You really have to weigh your options when moving in or out of melee. Sometimes doing so can win you the game if you survive said free strike, but you will pay for it.