PDA

View Full Version : Free strike ranges and B2B

snowydude
04-06-2010, 07:23 PM
inspired by an interesting event today.

centurion spear gets crippled. (no keep reading that's not my question)
a lowly bane knith thinking the spear wont hit him charges past cent B2B style.
is it possible to make my free strike with the shield?

he left the shield range at the same time as the spear range so my mind says yes. the math however may disagree with me im not sure.

I'm not sure it's possible to leave both at the same time is the problem i guess.

Edit: added vassal image

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u100/snowydude/WarmachineModuleMap-1.png

skyzanon
04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
You always use the weapon with reach for free strikes, even if it is disabled you still have to us it. So if it doesn't leave the 2" then you wont get a free strike.

TheUnknownMercenary
04-06-2010, 07:54 PM
First, it is not Knocked Out, it's Crippled. Using the right terms helps everyone understand the rules, questions and answers. Reason why is that when I first read the question, I thought it meant that the Centurion was Knockdown and I had to reread the question again to get that you meant that the spear was Crippled.
You can make the free strike with the shield as long as when the model leaves your melee range it is in the melee range of the shield.
Free Strikes on PG 51:

The model makes one normal melee attack with any melee weapon that has sufficient melee range to reach the moving model...

While the model's melee range for free strikes is based on the range of the reach weapon (the longest range of it's melee weapons), if the moving model leaves while it was in melee range of the 1/2" range melee weapon, you can use the 1/2" range melee weapon to make the attack.

Valander
04-06-2010, 10:10 PM
TheUnknownMercenary is correct, but note that you'd only be able to use the shield in the case where you moved basically to behind the Centurion. If you moved such that you were more than 1/2" but less than 2", and then more than 2", only the spear could be used for the free strike.

FearLord
04-07-2010, 12:03 AM
So in the OP's example, where the Bane charges passed the Centurion base to base, it will leave the melee range of the Centurion while still within 1/2" and can therefore use the shield to make the free strike.

snowydude
04-07-2010, 12:21 AM
cool. trying to roll 7 on 1 die is rather difficult. :p

thanks guys

TheUnknownMercenary
04-07-2010, 05:51 AM
I do not know where you are getting 7 from? A centurion has a 6 to hit and a free strikes gives you a +2 to the attack roll. That is a total of 8 and a Bane Knight has a DEF of 12. You would only need to roll a 4 or better on one die.
Of course that is if you could hit a Bane Knight with a Free Strike. Bane Knights have the Ghostly ability. Which means it cannot be targetted by Free Strikes.

snowydude
04-07-2010, 07:31 AM
well yes it is until you suffer -2 mat from somebodies feat.

and oh yea, damn ghostly.

guruhoro
04-08-2010, 12:47 AM
I know this particular question has been answered (Ghostly, yes), but I thought I'd mention the matemathical reasoning to answer this question for models that do not ignore free strikes.
The distance from the rearmost part of the small base to the edge of the large base is 12.081 millimeters (less than 12.7 mm = 0.5 in). That half millimeter difference makes it possible to exit the melee range in a way that enables a free strike with the shield. However, the moving model would have to deliberately skirt the edge of the base, or move past it at exactly the right angle. Small bases can also avoid taking the reach free strike from medium based models.