PDA

View Full Version : Movement And Measurement Rules

Mike05
10-18-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty new to warmachine so please forgive my ignorance.

The guys I play with are more experienced than me and they claim you must declare how far a model intends to move before you measure the distance. However I picked up a copy of the rule book and can't find anything that requires this.

Here is an example:

I have a unit of Bile thralls that have spd 5. I want to run them so they can move up to 10 inches. When I measure the 10 inches, I realize that would put them too close to an enemy unit with the Counter Charge ability so I decide to move them 8 inches instead.

Is this illegal? It seems this should be ok as long as you do not measure past the movement range of the model. I understand that committing to a run order and changing my mind after the measurement is wrong but declaring actual movement distance and having to live with the results seems a bit much. But like I said, I'm new to this. If someone could help me with the order of movement and measurement in the game I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

solkan
10-18-2013, 05:19 PM
If you measure ten inches and then only move five, you've done something you don't have permission to do.

Edit: Because you don't have permission to just measure a distance equal your movement rate. You have a necessity to measure how far the model moves.

Michael
10-18-2013, 05:22 PM
The other guy is wrong, but your method is also somewhat incorrect.

Nothing ever says you have to declare your full distance before you move. That's simply incorrect.

However, you can't measure any further than you intend to move. If you go 8, you only measure 8. You don't get to measure 10, and conveniently add that extra 2" (or 4", or 6", etc.), because that becomes pre-measuring that could give away "unknown" information such as "I will end my movement in Counter-Charge range" and such.

The solutions are simple: measure in small increments, and absolutely don't measure any further than you plan to actually move.

Mike05
10-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Ok, that makes sense.

One follow up question about units. Say I issue a charge order to a unit. Different troopers in the unit can charge different targets right? Also what about troopers in the unit that have no valid charge targets because of blocked LOS or other circumstances?

Thanks again

Michael
10-18-2013, 05:35 PM
FYI: It's rules forum policy that new questions get new threads.

But, to answer your question:

Different models in the unit can charge different targets. Troopers that receive a charge order can run or charge; they're not required to charge something.

solkan
10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Two key things to remember:

1. Individual models charge individual models, even if those models are in units.
2. If a model is in a unit, it waits for its opportunity to move and then waits for its opportunity to act. And you perform each model's movement and action when you declare it.

That means that the other models in the unit can either move out of the way or move into the way of other models in their unit, depending on the order you perform their movements.

Mike05
10-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Ok, thanks for the help guys