PDA

View Full Version : Velocity and Charging (Lord Stryker)

Temoinlanuit
04-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Can you cast Velocity, and then charge?

I'd normally think yes, since you can cast spells before charging, but charging says you must declare a charge before moving the model, and then advances after the charge is declared. Velocity is model movement, not placement.

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, by search isn't yielding any results.

snowydude
04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
yes you can. because velocity is not your move action it simply allows you to advance by spending focus.

charging requires your move and combat "actions"

TK421
04-10-2010, 03:20 AM
You can also make your charge move then cast Velocity before you make your attack.

Doesn't count as a failed charge as long as you end in melee with another model and you still get your initial attack (although you don't get the free boost as you're not hitting the model you charged)

Won me a couple games :D

kaapelikala
04-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Doesn't count as a failed charge as long as you end in melee with another model and you still get your initial attack (although you don't get the free boost as you're not hitting the model you charged)

If you don't end the charge movement with the target in melee range, you fail the charge and the action ends immediately - so no spellcasting after that. Cast Velocity first if you want a longer charge.

TK421
04-10-2010, 06:34 AM
If you don't end the charge movement with the target in melee range, you fail the charge and the action ends immediately - so no spellcasting after that. Cast Velocity first if you want a longer charge.

Nope, only ends your activation if you're not in melee, it doesn't have to be the original charge target. There's a time between the charge move itself and the time you make the attack where you can cast spells.

jonconcarne
04-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Nope, only ends your activation if you're not in melee, it doesn't have to be the original charge target. There's a time between the charge move itself and the time you make the attack where you can cast spells.

No. You have to get your charge target in melee.

Pg 47 of prime mk2:
If a charging model ends its charge movement without its charge target in its melee range, then it has made a failed charge. If a model makes a failed charge during its activation, its activation immediately ends.

bouncymischa
04-10-2010, 07:08 AM
On the other hand, you could charge your charge target, end in melee with it, then cast Velocity to move elsewhere before you make your attack, and still make additional (non-charge) melee attacks...

TK421
04-10-2010, 07:33 AM
No. You have to get your charge target in melee.

Pg 47 of prime mk2:
If a charging model ends its charge movement without its charge target in its melee range, then it has made a failed charge. If a model makes a failed charge during its activation, its activation immediately ends.

It's been asked and answered a bunch of times.

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?t=7869&highlight=velocity

Dackron
04-10-2010, 08:10 AM
On the other hand, you could charge your charge target, end in melee with it, then cast Velocity to move elsewhere before you make your attack, and still make additional (non-charge) melee attacks...

Actually I think your wrong on that bouncymischa you need to resolve the attacks from the charge before you can cast is my understanding of the rule, once you move on to casting you end whatever you where doing before also the rules state that you must resolve you actions and their effects before you can move on to anything else. In any case I think it's just best to have all your spells in place fist.

jonconcarne
04-10-2010, 08:25 AM
It's been asked and answered a bunch of times.

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?t=7869&highlight=velocity

Umm, that thread is about casting spells between movement and attacks in charging. What you said is that you don't have to have your charge target in melee, which you have to, or you fail your charge.

Actually I think your wrong on that bouncymischa you need to resolve the attacks from the charge before you can cast is my understanding of the rule, once you move on to casting you end whatever you where doing before also the rules state that you must resolve you actions and their effects before you can move on to anything else. In any case I think it's just best to have all your spells in place fist.

TK421 has the ref for this. You can interrupt the charge between movement and attack to cast spells or use anytime abilities.

Defenstrator
04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
There seems to be some confusion.

First, if you charge someone you need to get into melee range of them or you fail your charge and your activation ends.

But, spells can be cast between the charge move and the attack resolution. So Stryker can charge a model, get into melee range of it, and then Velocity before he swings. His activation does not end because he completed the charge. He now follows the rule that if you charge someone but they are not in melee with you before your make your attack, after having been killed by assault for example, you get your initial attack but it doesn't count as a charge.

So Stryker could charge a target successfully, then Velocity multiple times before his attack, and if he was in melee range of a new target could use his initial attack against them with it not counting as a charge.

Hypothoses
04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Has Velocity changed to allow multiple castings in one turn?

brotherscott
04-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Velocity can only be cast once per turn, per the card:

Velocity- "This model can spend up to 3 focus points to advance up to 2˝ immediately for each focus point spent. Velocity can be cast only once per turn."

Prime MK II, page 47, Charging:
"A charging model that ends its charge movement with its charge target in its melee range has made a successful charge."

"If a charging model ends its charge movement without its charge target in its melee range, then it has made a failed charge. If a model makes a failed charge during its activation, its activation immediately ends."

"If the charging model cannot make its first melee attack against the charge target, the charging model can make its first melee attack against another eligible target, but this is not a charge attack. It does not lose its first attack."

And finally-

Prime MK II, page 76, Spells:

"A model can cast spells at any time during its activation but cannot interrupt its movement or attack to cast a spell. It can cast a spell before moving, after moving, before an attack, or after an attack, but not while moving or attacking. A model cannot cast spells during an activation it ran."

Hope that helps-

TK421
04-10-2010, 11:13 PM
My bad sorry, got confused again :o

I was refering to casting Velocity after you charge (reaching melee) but before making your attack so artificially increasing your "charge" range.

I knew you had to reach melee in the first place though, other wise you're screwed.

kc7sbp
04-10-2010, 11:54 PM
My bad sorry, got confused again :o

I was refering to casting Velocity after you charge (reaching melee) but before making your attack so artificially increasing your "charge" range.

I knew you had to reach melee in the first place though, other wise you're screwed.

You can't artificially increase your "charge" range with velocity, by reaching melee with just anyone. You still have to reach melee with your charge target, even posts in your own link makes that specification.

admanb
04-11-2010, 12:21 AM
You can't artificially increase your "charge" range with velocity, by reaching melee with just anyone. You still have to reach melee with your charge target, even posts in your own link makes that specification.

You have to reach your target with the charge, but as soon as you do that movement ends and the charge has succeeded. At that moment there's a gap before the attack during which you can cast velocity, move out of melee range of your original target, and take your initial attack(s) on anyone in your new melee range.

The Infernal wording is here. (http://www.privateerpressforums.com/showpost.php?p=120043&postcount=20)

Macallan
04-15-2010, 02:17 AM
Can you cast Velocity, and then charge?

I'd normally think yes, since you can cast spells before charging, but charging says you must declare a charge before moving the model, and then advances after the charge is declared. Velocity is model movement, not placement.

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, by search isn't yielding any results.
Yes you can. [I did not read other posts.]